A Little Knowledge Please

flyingduck

Wandering around with a bag of matchlight, looking for a match.
Name or Nickame
Phil
Hello, I have an old Kenmore 4 burner grill that includes a searing burner and side burner. Lately, when I light the searing burner it lights, works for a few minutes and then all of a sudden it makes a swooshing or popping sound and then a sound like an afterburner.
Can someone please tell me what is happening and how to fix it? Otherwise the grill works perfectly. It is a Kenmore and I bought it new in approximately 2011.

Thanks in advance.

Check around the jet/orifice and venturi tube area for any obstructions. Think spider webs, etc. If your flame jumps to that area it will sound the way you describe.

As Ford said, you have an air, fuel mixture problem.
Here are possible causes:

Air intake for the burner is restricted.
The orifice feeding the gas is partially restricted.
The burner itself is restricted.

From the info you posted (long distance diagnosis here), I think it's your burner. When it's fired up cold and heats up I think debris settled on the bottom of the burner tube blows up into the burner ports clogging them. I've seen this before in my HVAC career. What can you do to fix it? Disassemble the sear burner and clean it. If you can't do that, buy a replacement assembly if still available for that unit. PM if I can help with the problem.

Good Luck! Hope you get it fixed.

Last edited:
Check around the jet/orifice and venturi tube area for any obstructions. Think spider webs, etc. If your flame jumps to that area it will sound the way you describe.

Why do those little white spiders love propane? I just bought a new burner for my gasser that came with "built-in spider guards".

Back