THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

DarkStar11

is one Smokin' Farker
Name or Nickame
Kevin
During lunch today, I fired up the Fornetto Basso for its second cook. Nothing fancy, just a hot fatty and 2 small bologna chubs. I followed 16Adams lead and got the chubs from Braum's. This was more about learning the smoker a bit better than anything else.

The hot fatty and one bologna got hit with some pecan rub, and the other bologna got Killer Hogs BBQ rub. This was my first time smoking bologna, and I didn't take the time to reference the forum before proceeding. I suspect I should have put a thin coating of mustard or something on the bologna as a binder, and know I should have gotten the rub deeper into the scores. It still worked out.

The Fornetto Basso ran great. I put a couple chunks of hickory in the basket near the vents, piled in a bunch of oak lump, made a hole in the center and put some lit KBB there to get things rolling. The water pan was just foiled over, empty. Once it got going, it settled in pretty nicely around 275 and just did its thing. 2 bottom vents were slightly cracked, the 3rd closed, and the top open. About 2 hours in the fatty was at 170, so I pulled the meat and put the lid back on the smoker just to see how long it would go. It's been going 4 hours total now and is still holding at 260 as the sun is going down. I'm really happy with this little smoker!

Attachments

My next bologna Im going to cut like hasselback potato.
Fry up a couple rounds with eggs for breakfast :-D

Hassleback ‘Loney.You,Sir,are a genius and a treasure.Nothing better than cackleberries and cartwheels for breakfast.

Back