9lb. Picnic Shoulder on UDS -advice

OK - We're done.

I ended up deciding on fat cap down.

The shoulder was in the UDS for 9 hours. Temp fluctuated between 250/350. I had hoped to keep it closer to 275/325, but didn't get stressed about it going outside the target range. Off the UDS it at 5:30pm - probed like butter. I didn't bother checking the internal temp. I could tell it was ready. I let it cool under a foil temp for 1/2 an hour then pulled it by hand and some forks when my fingers needed to cool off. Mixed in some more rub the the shredded meat.

Served with broccoli slaw on blue corn tortillas. Shack Sauce on the side.
Lots of leftovers!
that looks Pork-A-Licious:thumb:

I always use a rub that has brown sugar or turbinado sugar. I like a dark finished product, almost burnt looking.
There's a bunch of rubs you can make as well as store bought. I would use whatever you use when cooking pork. You can always add a little more sugar. And that's if you are cooking under 300 degrees. Anything more than that I would use a rub with a little rub.
I like this rub.

• 8 Parts Tina Turner - Paprika
    • 3 Parts George Clinton - Salt
    • 3 Parts Little Richard - Brown Sugar
    • 2 Parts Chaka Kahn - Cumin
    • 2 Parts Prince - Garlic Powder
    • 2 Parts Rick James - Onion Powder
    • 2 Parts Don Cornelius (Re-Ground before mix) - Celery Seed
    • 1 Part Carlos Santana - Chili Powder
    • 1 Part John Travolta Powder - Oregamo
    • 1 Part Larry Graham - Black Pepper
    • 1/2 part each of Fred Wesley Powder and Bootsy Collins - Mustard - Red Pepper or Cayenne

Thanks for the recipe, thats gotta whole lotta soul right there!:cool:
I'm gonna try a test picnic with this rub this week, I'll remember the pron.

WOW I am at work reading and LOOKIN at those pictures is making me want to make a roast in my UDS this week end too.

Looking really good.
Great job guys !!!

MO_Smoker
Mike

Thanks for the kind words, all. This thread was a month old, I'm surprised it came back. Mind you - it is Easter.

For what it's worth, I used a rub from a book called "Texas Home Cooking" that is this:

[ame="http://www.amazon.com/Texas-Home-Cooking-Comforting-Down-Home/dp/1558320598/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1397668871&sr=1-1&keywords=texas+home+cooking"]Texas Home Cooking: 400 Terrific and Comforting Recipes Full of Big, Bright Flavors and Loads of Down-Home Goodness (America Cooks): Cheryl Alters Jamison, Bill Jamison: 9781558320598: Amazon.com: Books@@AMEPARAM@@http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/51T3aI%2BGvmL.@@AMEPARAM@@51T3aI%2BGvmL[/ame]

¾ cup Paprika
¼ cup sugar
¼ cup ground black pepper
¼ salt
¼ cup chilli powder
2 tablespoons onion powder
2 tablespoons garlic powder
1 tablespoon cayenne pepper (or to taste)

and I added some extra fresh ground black pepper over the rub.

Back