9 lb butt in the weber

Man those beans look good. Making beans in slow cooker. Won't be as good.
Fire now at 230*. Probe temp 162*

When you put meat in cooler do you add ice?

Man those beans look good. Making beans in slow cooker. Won't be as good.
Fire now at 230*. Probe temp 162*

When you put meat in cooler do you add ice?

"When you put meat in cooler do you add ice?"

Nooooo....that's for hot holding....the rest period.....

DRY cooler (some people even put hot water in to heat the walls, then dump & dry out ) wrap butt, wrap in OLD clean towel (use the wife's fancy linens, go to jail ), pack more towels around it, then let it rest for an hour +....up to maybe even three or four, if need be.....

"When you put meat in cooler do you add ice?"

Nooooo....that's for hot holding....the rest period.....

DRY cooler (some people even put hot water in to heat the walls, then dump & dry out ) wrap butt, wrap in OLD clean towel (use the wife's fancy linens, go to jail ), pack more towels around it, then let it rest for an hour +....up to maybe even three or four, if need be.....

Awesome. Thanks
Sorry for being a maroon.
Still at probe of 167* now 8 hours in.
Maybe it will go 12+. Hope so. Don't want to get up at 4 am for nothing !đź‘´

PS : beans are even better after 4~5 hours smoked....

MemorialsJuly2012027-1.jpg

IME that's too low of a temp for a stall - mine almost always stall at 185-190°. Can sit there for two or more hours.

Oh. Ok. Didn't know. Have made pork before but never came out just right. Trying to go for the gold here. That's why I'm keeping grill temp now around 240*

and what is soppin' bread?

any kinda bread you like for soppin' up that juice from the beans......I usually mix in & then ladle some out so tey're not so soupy, but there's still a bunch of liquid that needs soppin' up.....sourdough, some dinner rolls....any kind you like....

PS: you're doing fine.....nice medium heat....it'll be great !!!!

The rest period helps it level out the moistness all thru the piece.....I try to allow for that every time nowadays.....

Never got a chance to thank everyone for their help and advice
Butt came out great. 14 hours but well worth it.
Didn't take pics since I was running late.
Bone came out easy. Pulled like a dream

Nice man.

I have found cooking hot an fast on a kettle to be much easier than trying to go low and slow. No reloading coals, just 1 snake (2x2x1), 12-15 lit coals, and a temp between 300-325. Have a 10lb pork butt done in about 6 hours, which is about a snake that goes 3/4 of the length of the charcoal grate.

You won't be able to tell a difference between a lns or hnf pork butt, but you will be able to get sleep. If dinner is at 6pm, you can get it on the kettle between 9-10am and have plenty of time for resting.

Nice man.

I have found cooking hot an fast on a kettle to be much easier than trying to go low and slow. No reloading coals, just 1 snake (2x2x1), 12-15 lit coals, and a temp between 300-325. Have a 10lb pork butt done in about 6 hours, which is about a snake that goes 3/4 of the length of the charcoal grate.

You won't be able to tell a difference between a lns or hnf pork butt, but you will be able to get sleep. If dinner is at 6pm, you can get it on the kettle between 9-10am and have plenty of time for resting.

I used a 2x2 snake and had to reload once. Started w 10 lit coals

I will go low and slow on cooks overnight that need to be served during lunch. This allows me to get a cat nap in somewhere in the middle of the night.

Dinners are always done hot and fast so I can actually get sleep and wake up between 6-7am and get the food done in time for dinner. Give it a try, it makes setting the kettle really easy. Top and Bottom vent wide open, 2x2x1, 12-15 lit coals. Once your kettle is putting out thin blue, put the meat on. At about the 4-4.5hour mark, check the meat. If the bark is getting too dark for your liking, wrap it up. If it is looking good let it ride. About the 5-5.5hour mark test for doneness, if not done test again 30mins later. Once it is done, let the heat vent off for 20mins (if you wrapped, open the wrapping), tightly wrap in the double layer and let it rest for 2 hours (if you have to let it rest less time that is fine, but 2-4 hour rest is when you will really see the meat turn out great) Briskets and pork butts done in 6-6.5 hours is a beautiful thing.

You can hold it....foil, towel, cooler for a long time....I've accidentally gone 7 hours several times & still above 140f....
Again, nothing's a big deal......you'll be fine & have a great cookup !!!!

Absolutely! If you properly foil wrap then towel wrap and blanket wrap a big price of meat like a brisket or butt and place it in a cooler the temperature will hold for a long time.

I posted a pork shoulder cook we had for lunch on Sunday and the cook finished at 2am Saturday morning. (The "to-do" list for Saturday morning was long so had to finish the cook before going to bed.) Here is the post:
Slow Smoked Jerk Pork Picnic With Garden Fresh Jerk Paste

and here is the blanket wrapping for resting… :sleep: …

IMG_20140810_131244_zps614c74fa.jpg

IMG_20140810_131403_zps73389347.jpg

… and here is the internal temperature of the butt 9.5 hours later - 127 degrees, perfect for serving :thumb:

IMG_20140810_132243_zps2e2f04bf.jpg

… and the extra "time in bed" worked out great - the taste, smoke, tenderness and moistness were excellent.

IMG_20140810_133638_zps34baec86.jpg

IMG_20140810_134511_zps80505b3c.jpg

If you are only holding the meat for a little while all you need to do is wrap in foil and then a couple of towels before placing in the cooler.

One other thing - if the rest is going to be for a long time I "pre-heat" the cooler with hot water so that it is already warm and doesn't take any heat from the meat. After letting the hot water sit in the cooler for about 10 minutes I pour out the water and towel dry the cooler before immediately placing the blanket wrapped product hot off the smoker :-D

Back