60lbs Butts, 50lbs Chicken, Saving Pork Au Jus and Yield Measurement

Nice cook. I did chicken thighs like that in my backwoods last weekend, it's my new favorite way to do pulled chicken. Does it reheat in vacuum seal bags as well as pulled pork does?

Yes reheats great. Just 5min or so in boiling water.

Looks delicious! I always cook my pork in pans I prefer it.. That chicken looks just like how I was going to cook it this coming weekend! Did you add anything to the pan besides the raw chicken and seasoning?

No just the chicken and seasoning. I like pan cooking the chicken because you get the smoke and keep them extra juicy. Not that putting them all on the rack wouldn't stay juicy, but you just have to watch them all closer. Pans also makes doing 40+ pounds easy to move around.

One thing to note is during my cook about about 45mins I mix all the chicken up to help evenly distribute the raw pieces not exposed to the top air. Help to keep things cooking evenly. I normally do about 275-300 and cook for 45mins, then mix all the chicken up, do another 30-45mins in the smoke and then foil to finish.

i may be being too picky but should you weigh the bones as they are included in the original weight? i guess my point is to weigh them and subtract from the uncooked weight or am i way over thinking this???

i may be being too picky but should you weigh the bones as they are included in the original weight? i guess my point is to weigh them and subtract from the uncooked weight or am i way over thinking this???

These were boneless skinless thighs so I'd have to go back to the factory to get them :mrgreen:. This was 50lbs starting weight of just meat........no bones about it :becky: :twitch:. But when I used to do this method with bone in thighs the yield was always closer to 50-55%.

Normally at most places bone in thighs are cheaper, but RD sells boneless skinless from $.78/lb-$1.20 depending on the week which is cheaper or the same price as bone in just about anywhere else around me. Not having to deal with the bones is very nice.

Two questions Jason
Did you cook the Butts uncovered the whole cook?
What tool do you use to pull your meat?
Thanks

Two questions Jason
Did you cook the Butts uncovered the whole cook?
What tool do you use to pull your meat?
Thanks

I covered them in the morning for the last few hours. And to pull nothing is better than latex/nitrile gloves over the cloth ones. I've had multiple types of "bear claws" and didn't like any of them.

Jason-
which vac sealer rolls did you buy from amazon?

These. They seem decent enough. Not as thick, but for basic stuff they should be fine.
[ame="https://www.amazon.com/Commercial-Bargains-Vacuum-Sealer-Storage/dp/B00GG5I5AK/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1468760689&sr=8-3&keywords=vacuum+seal+bags"]Amazon.com: Commercial Bargains 2 Pack 11" x 50' and 8" x 50' Commercial Vacuum Sealer Saver Rolls Food Storage: Kitchen & Dining[/ame]

Normally at most places bone in thighs are cheaper, but RD sells boneless skinless from $.78/lb-$1.20 depending on the week which is cheaper or the same price as bone in just about anywhere else around me. Not having to deal with the bones is very nice.

I'm paying $1.99/lb at Costco for BS thighs. I need to look into Restaurant Depot some more. Probably eat 5lbs of thighs a week. How big is a case at RD?

I'm paying $1.99/lb at Costco for BS thighs. I need to look into Restaurant Depot some more. Probably eat 5lbs of thighs a week. How big is a case at RD?

The cases are 40lbs so you do have to buy a lot, but I actually do it semi-frequently because I also like this type for making chicken sausage.

Luckily around us there are also some international markets that have cheap chicken in smaller batches. Not quite as cheap as RD, but pretty close.

Great looking restock cook...

These were boneless skinless thighs so I'd have to go back to the factory to get them :mrgreen:. This was 50lbs starting weight of just meat........no bones about it :becky: :twitch:. But when I used to do this method with bone in thighs the yield was always closer to 50-55%.

Not speaking for Paul, but I took his comment to mean the pork bones...

Great looking restock cook...

Not speaking for Paul, but I took his comment to mean the pork bones...

Ha! Probably. In that case that is overthinking it for me. Total end product is measured from what you start with if you are food costing. That bone was paid for just like that fat cap that doesn't get used either. Or now I'm over thinking it :loco:

Back