THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Hey Ron!

Here is my timeline for my Gateway Drums. If you are using the BBQ Baskets, it will probably be different. I put chicken on my Pork drum, not my brisket drum. As aggressive as i trim pork, it's normally done in 3.5 hours max. I ran this all last year and it worked perfectly. Let me know if I can help in anyway!

I am also a 1 man team and i have found this is the best way to go if you have 3 cans. Putting meats together in cans can be tough due to the amount of rotating that needs to be done.

Attachments

• KCBS Timeline.pdf
    23.2 KB · Views: 246
I have 4 barrels (the homemade redneck kind) before when we 1 barrel and a borrowed WSM we cooked chicken on a 26 inch Weber kettle. Had some pretty good scores doing so. Honestly I'm about ready to go back to doing that. It's almost a hassle to fire up a 55 gallon trash can just to cook chicken for an hour.

Are you guys putting your chicken straight on the grate? I was but it seems to burn the bottom at 300. Been having decent success with 30 minutes in butter bath then putting on grate to finish. Just wondering how you guys were doing it, thanks

Hey Ron!

Here is my timeline for my Gateway Drums. If you are using the BBQ Baskets, it will probably be different. I put chicken on my Pork drum, not my brisket drum. As aggressive as i trim pork, it's normally done in 3.5 hours max. I ran this all last year and it worked perfectly. Let me know if I can help in anyway!

I am also a 1 man team and i have found this is the best way to go if you have 3 cans. Putting meats together in cans can be tough due to the amount of rotating that needs to be done.

Thanks! It looks very similar to what I came up with.

I can't believe those timelines, dang you guys cook fast.

You gotta wrap pretty damn early, like in the pdf file after two hours? No shigging attempted, just wondering how can you develop any bark that fast.

I've cooked on a lot of drums, albeit homemade and usually without heat deflector. Then again, bark isn't all that appreciated in comps..

We did a practice competition this weekend and everything went well. We put the pork on at 6 and the butts were done by 10.

Rimini, the bark on the butts and brisket was beautiful!

I tried my first hot and fast cook this weekend. Ran the UDS at 325, I have no idea how you guys are getting good results with only cooking 4 or 5 hours. The color on both the brisket and pork was great. I cooked them for 4 hours, then wrapped the brisket in butcher paper and put the butts in covered pans with some juice and went another hour and a half until my desired temp. Neither the brisket or the butts were tender. The brisket point was "probe tender" but after cubing it up it was still tough, the flat wasn't even close to tender.

I tried my first hot and fast cook this weekend. Ran the UDS at 325, I have no idea how you guys are getting good results with only cooking 4 or 5 hours. The color on both the brisket and pork was great. I cooked them for 4 hours, then wrapped the brisket in butcher paper and put the butts in covered pans with some juice and went another hour and a half until my desired temp. Neither the brisket or the butts were tender. The brisket point was "probe tender" but after cubing it up it was still tough, the flat wasn't even close to tender.

Aggressive trimming :becky:. It's not all one hunk of butt, but parts cut out but still hanging in to be legal

Aggressive trimming and luck! LOL

Remember that cooking hot & fast is more about feel than temp. Cook it and when you think it's done, let it go a little more.

Back