THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

RevChrisIVXX

Hello, all.

I am fairly new to posting, so please bear with me.

I am pleased to announce the 2nd Annual Hawthorne BBQ Contest in Hawthorne NJ on Saturday September 27th.

We had a great time last year and are looking forward to a better time this year.

$100 to enter per team. 1st place is $500, 2nd place is $250, 3rd place is $100. We also hope to be able to offer prizes with the cash again this year - last year, Camp Chef & Ramsey Outdoors donated some nice propane cook-tops/burners.

Right now, contest is ribs only - pork, spare or baby back. If we have enough entrants & interest, we will add a chicken category as well.

This is not only for 'professional' teams. I want to draw the 'backyard amateur' as well as the seasoned team, to hel[ generate more interest & growth in the area. I can smell that I am not the only one that Qs in the area - I want people to get out of their yards and come join the party.

This year, we are having the audacity to name the winner 'Best Ribs in Northern New Jersey'. I have no authority to declare this, but why let that stop me? For those of you with an associated business, wouldn't you like to add the blurb 'named Best Ribs in Northern New Jersey' to you logo (even if you are not in northern NJ)?

As BBQ Mafia, Big Blue BBQ Crew, and Smokin Budz can attest, we loosely follow the KCBS rules as this is not a KCBS Sanctioned event (this year).

I am not limiting the fuel type (gas/propane is OK). This is only ribs, no pulled pork or brisket. Chicken, as I mentioned earlier, is a 'maybe' based on participation/demand.

Judges will be local dignitaries, given a 'crash course' in what 'good BBQ ribs' should be. Mostly taste, some appearance, tie-breaker will be box/presentation.

My goal is to generate enough participation to have this become an official KCBS Sanctioned event in the next 1-3 years. Please help me realize this goal, and participate.

This year, for the second year in a row, we will be part of the annual Hawthorne Day festivities - local vendors, games &rides for the kids, bands, fireworks. We will be near the entrance, so expect a fair amount of walk-up/walk-by traffic.

There will be water & electric available. We may not have overnight camping on site, but we can accommodate your trailer/RV for the day and can help find a suitable local solution.

I will have an updated application available soon.

Please, if you are not already 'booked' that day, strongly consider participating. You'll be helping something bigger happen, and helping grow the hobby.

Even if you can't participate, please think about helping somehow - I need competitors, I could use a corporate sponsor to donate prizes &/or competitor t-shirts, I need exposure. Consider posting a flyer or telling your peers, if you would.

Please contact me, Chris, directly with any questions - 201-960-3535, revchris@gmail.com

PS - my team, King Coal and the Soul Smokers, will be at the Hudson Valley Ribfest in New Paltz in August, and are 85% sure we are also doing Red White & Queue in Cresskill in early September.

Back