2lbs crawfish tails (w/fat) ideas needed!

Once upon a time there was a joint in Alexandria called Herbie K's
My goodness, those were the days

I just never liked the flavor of Tabasco peppers. Prefer the taste of cayenne peppers. Still use cayenne in my fish batter (zatarain's obviously) and lots of it! That's why I suggest Louisiana or Crystal hot sauce....

I just never liked the flavor of Tabasco peppers. Prefer the taste of cayenne peppers. Still use cayenne in my fish batter (zatarain's obviously) and lots of it! That's why I suggest Louisiana or Crystal hot sauce....

All good Brother. I've got 17 bottles of hot sauce in my fridge. Speedys#44 from Virginia to a poblano hot sauce from Tuscon. As long as I sweat behind the ears it's all good. Both your choices are excellent and versatile.

To the OP- simply fried with a chipotle mayo or ACT's (atomic crawfish turds). You know the possibilities are endless with bugs

All good Brother. I've got 17 bottles of hot sauce in my fridge. Speedys#44 from Virginia to a poblano hot sauce from Tuscon. As long as I sweat behind the ears it's all good. Both your choices are excellent and versatile.

To the OP- simply fried with a chipotle mayo or ACT's (atomic crawfish turds). You know the possibilities are endless with bugs

outstanding! Way to bring it back to smokin something. I'm gonna have to try that one! I'm thinking spicy cream cheese, crawfish inside the jalapeño wrapped in bacon and smoked. Yum! :clap:

Love me some Justin Wilson. Going to have to come back to this thread when I can hear it...

Not a big fan of Mud Bugs other than boiled in crab boil and picked out of the tails. Could and have eaten buckets of them that way.

P.S. Toast, thanks for the video, it brought back a lot of great memories of Justin Wilson. Had most of his comedy albums years ago, and was a great fan of his cooking shows when I could catch them on the "idiot box". One of my favorite "tales" of his was about when he was a "little boy peoples" and went duck hunting with his dad. Truly a great entertainer.

Blessings, :pray:

Omar

When we were kids we'd catch buckets of em. This is more of an appetizer, but we'd peel the tails and toss the meat into a bowl full of lime juice and red onion. Toss some ice cubes in there too to keep em cool. Think cheviche. We throw in some jalapeño and cilantro. Let em "cook" for a few hours in the fridge. From there pluck em out of the bowl with a fork and dip in some cocktail sauce.

I've also made crawfish po boys! Gotta say......better than shrimp!

Bucking 60 yrs of age and never had the chance to eat a bug. Very very rare up here in the rust belt.

My brethren are truly the best! Thanks so much for all the suggestions. I have so many catfish filets, my freezer will hardly close, so I am loving the idea of some étouffée over fried whisker fish! I can't promise I will cook it tomorrow but y'all can bet pics will follow when I do. Thanks again!

A crawfish stew ( medium to dark reaux ) patato salad, garlic bread and cold brew. New iberia is next to avery island and i like tabasco but I prefer louisiana hot sauce with most dishes.

Crawfish Pizza
Ingredients

Apricot Sauce
1/2 C apricot preserves
1 Tbsp white vinegar
1 tsp sugar
1/2 tsp chili garlic paste (available @ oriental market)
Pinch of red pepper flakes
Pinch of salt

In a small sauce pan add all ingredients over low heat and stir. Cook until sauce is slightly thickened, about 10 minutes, stirring often. If too thick to drizzle, it can be thinned with a little water. Set aside.

Pizza
Ingredients

1/4 lb cooked crawfish tails (I purposely reserve tails from a crawfish boil to make other meals)
1 Tbsp homemade or purchased blackening seasoning
2 Tbsp extra virgin oilive oil
1/4 lb Andouille sausage split lengthwise and cut into small chunks (we make our own, but Ragin Cajun by Thomas is pretty good)
1 pizza crust (16"), lightly pre-grilled
1-1/2 Tbsp freshly grated Parmesan
1 C shredded Mozzarella
1/2 C shredded Fontina (if we can't find Fontina, we use Fontenella)
1/2 C thinly sliced red onion
1 roasted red bell pepper, stemmed, seeded and skin removed, cut into 1/4" strips

Rinse and dry crawfish with paper towels. In medium bowl, toss crawfish with blackening seasoning. Make sure tails are coated well. Unless you have an excellent exhaust system in your kitchen, this next step should be done outside using gas burner, like a jet cooker. Get a medium CI pan white hot. Add 1 Tbsp of the oil. Add the crawfish and stir to blacken (about 2 minutes). Add the andouille and stir for another minute, remove from pan and set aside. Brush one side of the crust with the remaining oil. Sprinkle with the Parmesan and distribute the shredded cheeses evenly over the crust. Top with crawfish and andouille mixture making sure to evenly distribute over the pizza. Add red onions and roasted pepper strips. Drizzle evenly with apricot sauce. You can do the pizza in an oven until the cheese melts and bubbles, but I prefer either grilling or a wood fired oven. If you like cilantro, garnish with 1 Tbsp of torn leaves. Enjoy!

Gumbo

In a 6 quart Dutch Oven sautee till done...
* *1 medium to large onion
* *1/2 stick butter
* *1 pablano pepper
* *1 TBS minced garlic
* *2-4 ribs celery
* *1 pound andouille sausage

When done, add the following:
* *8 cups of the chicken broth
* *chopped meat from the chicken thighs
* *1 pound peeled and deveined shrimp
* *1 pound of the small bay scallops
* *1 pound crawfish tails
* *1 can fired roasted tomatoes
* *1 can okra and tomatoe
* *1 TBS Louisiana Hot Sauce
* *2-3 TBS Worcestershire sauce
* *1 TBS Zatarains Creole Seasoning
* *1 TBS Gumbo Filet
* *1 tsp red pepper, white pepper and 1/4 tsp ground thyme
Instead of a roux, I've started using Zatarains Gumbo Base you can pick up at the Supercenter.
Simmer on the stove stirring occasionally and serve with a rice.* Actually better a couple days later.

Last edited:
Bucking 60 yrs of age and never had the chance to eat a bug. Very very rare up here in the rust belt.

Dang Bull, I grew up just across the pond from you, in Wis. As a kid we used to gather buckets of bugs from under the rocks in just about any stream....

Back