270 vs. Gravity Feed

SlingingMeat

MemberGot rid of the matchlight.
Name or Nickame
David
Fairly new team to competition BBQ. We have been using pellet smokers up to this point. We have gotten better with each competition and we are ready to take the next step. I’ve heard good things about the gravity fed smokers like the ones from Southern Q and Deep South. I’ve also seen several teams using the 270 smokers. Iv read info on both but nothing really where someone compares the two. I’m hoping to get some feedback from people that have used both and why they may choose one over the other.

Thanks in advance!

I loved my stumps gravity feed. Not sure of the other brands but if the owner cooks in pans, I’d check and see how the grease is managed-the floor of my stumps angled to the drain. My friend had a Rebel GF and if he didn’t cook in pans it caught on fire. I’ve never cooked on a 270 but I’d like to.

Thanks Cowboy. I notice you say you “loved” your gravity feed. Why did you get rid of it?

I loved my stumps gravity feed. Not sure of the other brands but if the owner cooks in pans, I’d check and see how the grease is managed-the floor of my stumps angled to the drain. My friend had a Rebel GF and if he didn’t cook in pans it caught on fire. I’ve never cooked on a 270 but I’d like to.

I've cooked a bunch (both in comps and not) on a Rebel GF. I don't cook in pans until I'm ready to wrap the meat. I've never experienced a fire.

About 4-5 years ago, I started cooking my comps on drums instead of the Rebel. For me, being able to sleep a solid 5-6 hours on Friday night is worth it. With the Rebel, I would start the fire at 2, put the brisket/pork on at 2:30, and then add new chunks of wood every 45 minutes. It was hard for me to function on that little sleep!

I went from an offset to the gravity fed Limo Jr. from SouthernQ. I miss playing in the fire with the offset, but the consistency of the Q is better on the GF. It's almost like using an oven.

This will likely get somebody's dandruff up, but switching from a pellet isn't necessarily a step up. Several people do well with their pellet grills and some do very poorly with some of the most expensive smokers. Being able to cook with whatever pit you have is the key.

I went from an offset to the gravity fed Limo Jr. from SouthernQ. I miss playing in the fire with the offset, but the consistency of the Q is better on the GF. It's almost like using an oven.

SmokeIsGood - How many butts can you get on your Limo Jr? Is the Limo Jr. enough for you to handle everything at a comp or do you need a second smoker as well?

Back