THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

riotburn

MemberGot rid of the matchlight.
Curious what peoples thoughts are on the yoder vs p&s. I see yoder had lots of paints issues but just spoke to them and they said they've improved their painting process. I'm looking for a good mix between grilling and smoking. I saw both in person and the yoder seems like it would handle grilling better plus it has the integrated fireboard which is a nice plus. P&S is having a special at the moment where you get a cover and the 2 piece diffuser.

What are your thoughts now for what these two companies produce in 2020?

Curious what peoples thoughts are on the yoder vs p&s. I see yoder had lots of paints issues but just spoke to them and they said they've improved their painting process. I'm looking for a good mix between grilling and smoking. I saw both in person and the yoder seems like it would handle grilling better plus it has the integrated fireboard which is a nice plus. P&S is having a special at the moment where you get a cover and the 2 piece diffuser.

What are your thoughts now for what these two companies produce in 2020?

Both are nice pellet cookers for sure! That said, you mentioned that grilling and smoking are both important to you. These are just my thoughts, so take them for what they are worth...

-Yoder is gonna be the better grilling experience, I have no doubt!
-Yoder has been telling people for several years now that they have improved their paint process, yet it remains by far the #1 complaint I see from Yoder owners.
-The PS 850 is not going to excel in the grilling dept as it’s really just not what it was designed to do. Can you come up with workarounds, third party tools, or use the small cut out they offer in the drip pan? Yes... but it’s still no Yoder.
-If grilling is really important, than I think the Yoder is the better option. That said, does the paint issue bother you?
-If smoking/roasting is the priority along with ‘some’ grilling, than I’d go with the PS.

Sooo, based on what you are saying, my suggestion would be to also put the MAK 1 Star in the mix. As of 5/1, the 1 Stars are gonna go up a bit in price, but they are going to now come standard with the Funnel Flame Zone. Am I biased? Yep! I have been cooking on MAK’s for years now, and it is by far my all time favorite grill and smoker to date... and I have had my fair share.

Not at all saying that there are not other nice, high quality pellet cookers... but I am saying that if grilling and smoking is important to you in a pellet grill, I think you are gonna be very hard pressed to beat a MAK.

Just my 2 cents :)

Man they all look like nice choices. I was sitting where you were about 3 months ago. I really liked the idea of the Yoder and the New integrated Fireboard. It was between Ys640 and the Mak 2 star.

The P&S wasn’t really on the radar as i have the SMOKER category firmly covered and i just wanted an EASY grill/smoker. Th P&S didn’t seem to come up as much for an all around grill option as the others. I’m sure the P&S can do both but seems to lean towards smoking? I didn’t research it too much though

Had a hard time justifying the Mak 2 star over the Other options. Mostly it was a price issue. On paper the math doesn’t seem to add up.... but I took a chance, pulled the trigger and really love everything about it. I would buy it again without a second thought.

After getting to know it I really appreciate a lot of the design features that may not be so obvious on paper. Pellet Dump, removable firepot for quick clean outs, smoke box, multiple grates...

Anyhow, the paint issues on the Yoder would only scare me off if I had it out in the open or I was not handy with DIY stuff. None of that bothered me but I am so pleased i went MAK

I will add the the Yoder. I had the old controller and recently upgraded to the FireBoard based controller. Wow, is it nice. I have the stand alone FireBoard unit but the integrated one is way nice. Grilling on the Yoder does work, and very well for that matter.

I don’t regret my purchase of the ys640

I have a 2014 ys 640 and have no paint issues at all. I think it really depends on maintenance and weather conditions. Also the new stainless drip guard will help a lot.

I had a yoder and it rusted badly (100 miles from the coast, so no salt air), but I did a lot of grilling on it (I am convinced that concentrated the heat and rust issues on the front left of the cooker). It is a good cooker and will grill better than the Pitts and Spitts without question (just look at the fireput design and the trap door and accessing both of them). IF you go Yoder, definitely get the SS front drop guard..they didnt have that when I had my 2017 model

Both are nice pellet cookers for sure! That said, you mentioned that grilling and smoking are both important to you. These are just my thoughts, so take them for what they are worth...

-Yoder is gonna be the better grilling experience, I have no doubt!
-Yoder has been telling people for several years now that they have improved their paint process, yet it remains by far the #1 complaint I see from Yoder owners.
-The PS 850 is not going to excel in the grilling dept as it’s really just not what it was designed to do. Can you come up with workarounds, third party tools, or use the small cut out they offer in the drip pan? Yes... but it’s still no Yoder.
-If grilling is really important, than I think the Yoder is the better option. That said, does the paint issue bother you?
-If smoking/roasting is the priority along with ‘some’ grilling, than I’d go with the PS.

Sooo, based on what you are saying, my suggestion would be to also put the MAK 1 Star in the mix. As of 5/1, the 1 Stars are gonna go up a bit in price, but they are going to now come standard with the Funnel Flame Zone. Am I biased? Yep! I have been cooking on MAK’s for years now, and it is by far my all time favorite grill and smoker to date... and I have had my fair share.

Not at all saying that there are not other nice, high quality pellet cookers... but I am saying that if grilling and smoking is important to you in a pellet grill, I think you are gonna be very hard pressed to beat a MAK.

Just my 2 cents :)
Yea think I'm pulling the trigger on the Yoder. The mak1 is a little small, more like the ys480 correct?

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6013 using Tapatalk

Yea think I'm pulling the trigger on the Yoder. The mak1 is a little small, more like the ys480 correct?

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6013 using Tapatalk

The MAK 1 is smaller than the Yoder 640 but is deceptively big at the same time. With the full upper grate in place, you can fit 8 butts, or 2 monster briskets/4 average briskets, or 6-8 slabs of ribs laid flat. It’s the height of the cooking chamber that makes it so deceptively roomy.

The choice is obviously yours to make... and if Yoder is your choice, then by all means fire that bad-boy up and bless your family & friends w/ many many years of good cooking from it. At the end of the day, that’s what it’s all about :)

Last edited:
I owned a 640 for about 5 years or so and about a year ago sold it for a P&S 850. I have zero regrets.

P&S Pros

7 and 10 gauge fully welded steel vs 10 and 14 on the Yoder with silicon firebox and seams

Marine grade stainless roll back lid

Tighter temps left to right and upper to lower racks

Top and bottom sliding shelves vs top only on the yoder

Larger hopper

Pellet dump

Yoder Pros

Comp cart still sexy lol

Better high heat grilling capability

Lower price point entry

i think its gonna be the yoder then since grilling capability is important for me. Plus the s has the integrated fireboard and, because i'm vain, better looking.

I was told that the only thing made in america for the P&S was the box and that the hopper, PID, and i believe more are chinese. Whereas the everything is american on the yoder except for the castors.

Back