2017 Green Chile Harvest---FYI

I went to a local Albertsons last year and bought 3 cases.(1 for me and 2 for friends). Ends up all they had were the X-hot. I peeled and de-seeded all three cases and even with gloves on, my hands were on fire for hours afterward. I still have a lot of chilies left over. They are just too hot for most of my family. They are all vac-sealed in 6oz bags.

How long will they last in the freezer?

Adams,
Do you have any good leads on Pueblos? Would like to try some this year. TIA

Milberger Farms Pueblo Co

http://milbergerfarms.com/

I bought I think 10# fresh there last year. On Business Route 50 east of IH25 about 3-4 miles.

I plan to get 25# Pueblo Colorado chiles plus #25 Hatch Valley chiles this year. Then late season I'll pick 10-12# colorful chiles from the produce bin. Those red orange and yellowish peppers look cool on burgers. Milbergers is a farmers market-restaurant with not only local Colorado Pueblo Chiles but a great freezer case of local green and red chile sausages-tamales etc.

Milbergers had 3-4 Chile roasting tumblers working the 2nd weekend in August 2016.

Pueblo also has a large yearly Chile Festival(I've never been to the festival in Hatch nor Pueblo as I'm not a voluntarily seeks out crowds type :))

"About
Chile And Frijoles is a 3 day event being held from 22nd September to the 24th September 2017 at the Pueblo Convention Center in Pueblo, United States Of America. This event showcases products like the Pueblo area?s best loved crops ? green chilies? particularly Pueblo chile? and frijoles or pinto beans, music? arts and crafts? cooking competitions and much more etc etc. in the Food & Beverage industry."

Last edited:
I went to a local Albertsons last year and bought 3 cases.(1 for me and 2 for friends). Ends up all they had were the X-hot. I peeled and de-seeded all three cases and even with gloves on, my hands were on fire for hours afterward. I still have a lot of chilies left over. They are just too hot for most of my family. They are all vac-sealed in 6oz bags.

How long will they last in the freezer?

I recommend finding a person roasting chiles on site and ask for their mildest. The roasters are usually quite knowledgeable about heat level.

As for how long they last??? I don't really know. I freeze mine flat 7-10 chiles per zip lock with air pushed out. My freezer is very cold and I usually run out within a year.

Wow. I was interested...till I saw their shipping prices!

One of the articles I linked lists the varieties of NM Green Chile. Anaheim-Big Jim etc. check your favorite produce Market for Anaheims etc. take them home roast and sweat them (YouTube). Remove skin and chop chicken fry Stew etc. you're in the game. No shipping costs.
They're cheap.

I recommend finding a person roasting chiles on site and ask for their mildest. The roasters are usually quite knowledgeable about heat level.

As for how long they last??? I don't really know. I freeze mine flat 7-10 chiles per zip lock with air pushed out. My freezer is very cold and I usually run out within a year.

Mine were roasted on site and I vac-sealed them flat similar to what you describe. I usually ask for mild-medium, but last year all they had were X-hot. They are still good but I am the only one who will eat them.

I am flooded with Habaneros

Every 3 years I grow habaneros and this year the plants are going crazy!!

Look how shiny green they are!!!

View attachment 145467

used a mushroom compost soil blend in raised beds...

Last edited:
Milberger Farms Pueblo Co

http://milbergerfarms.com/

I bought I think 10# fresh there last year. On Business Route 50 east of IH25 about 3-4 miles.

I plan to get 25# Pueblo Colorado chiles plus #25 Hatch Valley chiles this year. Then late season I'll pick 10-12# colorful chiles from the produce bin. Those red orange and yellowish peppers look cool on burgers. Milbergers is a farmers market-restaurant with not only local Colorado Pueblo Chiles but a great freezer case of local green and red chile sausages-tamales etc.

Milbergers had 3-4 Chile roasting tumblers working the 2nd weekend in August 2016.

Pueblo also has a large yearly Chile Festival(I've never been to the festival in Hatch nor Pueblo as I'm not a voluntarily seeks out crowds type :))

"About
Chile And Frijoles is a 3 day event being held from 22nd September to the 24th September 2017 at the Pueblo Convention Center in Pueblo, United States Of America. This event showcases products like the Pueblo area?s best loved crops ? green chilies? particularly Pueblo chile? and frijoles or pinto beans, music? arts and crafts? cooking competitions and much more etc etc. in the Food & Beverage industry."

Thanks! I smell a slopper (burger smothered in GC) roadtrip in a month or so.

Back