1st whole hog cook at the Shirley farm . A 93 pounder

TuscaloosaQ

Babbling Farker

Batch Image
Batch Image
Well I order a 70 pounder but it came in at 93 pounds got the hog from piggly wiggly in Tuscaloosa they kept it a week and when I picked it up it was still not completely thawed... The cost after tax was 330$$ which is high I know but I don't buy them everyday so that was of no consequence...... There is a video below

Injecting the hog with my new spit Jack injector .. It worked great put a gallon of Chris Lilly's injection in the hog.... Got the recipe from shagdog

The inside was stuffed with 4 whole cabbages to protect the loins... I think shagdog got that idea from GTR..... Also put a ton of Texas shake on the inside did not trim down much due to the fact the hog was still a little frozen and hard to open up

Got up at 1:00 am well my nephews were still up partying a little so they got me and Sharon up ... Lighting the fire... It was cold!!!!

Heading to the pit

I was told to allow 1 hr per 10 pounds of hog... But read if I was going racer style allow 1.5 hrs... That came out to be pretty accurate

As you can see I had no more room ideally I would have liked the hog to not be so close to where the heat rolled up on the reverse flow smoker... But it was what I had to deal with

This guy beside me is someone I respect more than words will ever speak... He is my youngest brother... Was combat wounded twice in Vietnam as a infantry marine receiving 2 Purple Hearts....as many know my mom had 3 sons in the service during the Vietnam war... That is one of the reasons we are bigtime supporters of our vets..

About 5hrs in at some point I foiled the whole hog to try and maintain color... I will tell you it got darker than I wanted but I was not in a contest I just wanted it to be good.. And it was ....

The next pic is when I took the foil off... The thing was about to aggravate me i kept probing it for feel and trying to get the hams around 190 degrees.. I had been running over 300 degrees .. Went to 330 degrees and at 15 hrs after calling shagdog I decide it was time.... The hams felt loose enough for me...

It was not as dark as the picks look.... And again I was not trying to win a trophy on looks... I was after the taste....and I nailed that part

Some of the crew

Again we were at our family farm in the shop where we proceed deer and wild hogs... We also caught a ton of bass out of the lake on the property

Random shots

Danielle with my great nephew ...my nephew said and I quote the chicken off the hog tasted good... You have to tell him everything is chicken...

That cheek meat was awesome

Well all in all the cook was a success I was very happy with the taste and texture
Video is below.....

Thx shagdog and Dan in New Jersey for yalls input!!!!!

[ame]https://youtu.be/bqe-HfLItb0[/ame]

Nice TQ! You can tell how good it was by the look on your family's faces! Those are good eats faces if I've ever seen them! Please thank your brother for his honorable service from me next time you talk to him please!

I was hoping you would post a thread about your farm cook. Looks fantastic Paul!! Nothin' better than feasting with family. :)

I need to raise the price of my pigs. Can't believe they charged you so much. :shocked:

Beautiful job and a beautiful family to share it with, it don't get any better than that. Thanks for sharing Paul.

What a feast! Looks like the family enjoyed the results of your hard work.

Thanks for sharing your adventure with us!

Pig cheeks, thats where it's at! Good stuff. The trick is just getting everyone else to keep thinking it's gross, so you can have more for yourself. ;)

Thanks for posting. Looks like you all had a beatiful time together, and created some strong family memories for the little ones. That pig-chicken served you well!

Back