1st KCBS contest. A walk and a flop!

I think you did great and everything looked good. I am right down the road by the way feel free to get in touch. I went to Shotgun Fred the other weekend and had a great time. Also met several people from the Brethren.

We did the Shreveport comp too (Longneck Sippers'). First time KCBS for us too. Your chicken box is freakin' beautiful. And we tanked in pork also. Hope to meet you at the next one.

Thank you! We put a lot of time and practice into our chicken the last cOuple months. When we started at Christmas time none of us had ever bbq'd chicken in our lives, so we probably worked harder on that to compensate.

We look forward to seeing you guys too. It'll be nice to compare progress against the other rookie teams.

Thank you guys for the feedback. I even got some private feedback from one of the judges who tasted my brisket, which is extremely valuable. This forum is fantastic for learning, and is definitely helping us get better at a much faster pace than we could do without it.

I went out and bought a prime brisket last night to practice on this weekend. I really want to cook those wagyu briskets, but until I get this down, I figure it's a waste of money.

As far as pork goes, what kind of flavor combinations go well there? We injected with Butcher BBQ Pork Injection mixed as directed. I left that to marinate in a bag for about an hour before we put it on, then I covered it in Money from Big Poppa Smokers. Once it was done I sauced it with a 50/50 mix of au jus and original Blues Hog, and added a light dusting of Happy Ending from BPS. With three 7's in taste, I feel like the judges really didn't like something in this combination. Any advice?

Here is my personal opinion on scoring....chicken and ribs you only put one sample of meat in the box, easier to get one meat cooked correctly. Brisket you put two types of meat in the box, easier for one of the samples to bring down the score of the other. Pork, you put three samples in the box, you had better make sure ALL three are cooked correctly and taste good or one will cause the other two to suffer and you may not know witch one it was.

Congrats on the call, speaking from experience, it will be the most expensive chicken you've ever cooked :-D

Pace yourself, this hobby/sport can get real expensive very quickly but enjoy the ride and have fun.

At least you you had a call and then a figurative "flop." I walked at New Holland one year and then fell down the stage stairs in front of the whole crowd. :oops:

Congrats btw...

For what it is worth...

I echo your sentiments about Sizzlin Bones BBQ from Oklahoma.
I purchased a used cooker from them, and have had the pleasure of seeing them at numerous events. Salt of the earth super nice people.
If any of you are at a contest with this team, make it a point to get acquainted.

Back