1st Annual Shotgun Fred BBQ Showdown 2/27-3/1/14

Swamp Donkeyz BBQ

is one Smokin' Farker
Located in Huntsville,Tx, this is going to be a GREAT event that is KCBS Sanctioned, to honor a TRUE BBQ Innovator and an even GREATER Man. As it stands it will have a guaranteed $10,000 payout.

Grand Champion $1000.00 plus a BBQ Guru Onyx Oven with Guru Unit
Reserve Grand Champion $600
1st $550
2nd $450
3rd $350
4th $250
5th $125
6th thru 10th $75 each

All proceeds raised will benefit a scholarship fund, in Fred Pirkle's name, to help kids, going to school for Industrial Technology carrers, pay for their tuition and books. Come on Down and help make this event a success.

Check it out on Facebook at https://www.facebook.com/shotgunfredbbqshowdown?ref=hl

They have 28 CBJ's that have volunteered to judge the event, so far. If anyone else would like to, or knows someone else that would like to judge, please contact Ben Pruitt at shotgunfredbbqshowdown@gmail.com

They will also have a Kids Que at the event. It will be limited to the first 30 kids to sign up, Saturday morning. They will be supplied with a cooker, fuel, tongs and meat. The local FD will light the fires for them. They will award prizes to the top cooks in their age group and all the kids will get to keep the cooker and tongs they used.

I'm a displaced Texan just like Fred was and I had the pleasure of meeting Fred up in PA. My family's in Lufkin, so maybe I should make a trip......

Come on down. We'll be happy to have you. There a quite a few of his friends that will be competing and visiting. I never had the pleasure of meeting him, but i enjoy hearing stories about him from his friends.

If you've never seen the Onyx Oven, here's a pic. This is a great cooker and holds quite a bit of meat. BBQ Guru will be giving one of these away to the GC of this event.

They will be holding a KCBS Certified Barbecue Judges Class on Thursday evening, February 27th, at the Shotgun Fred BBQ Showdown cook off, from 6-10 pm. This class can be benificial to both cooks and anyone interested in becoming a KCBS Certified Barbecue Judge. The fees for the class are $40 for KCBS members or $75 for non members (You will also receive a 1 year KCBS membership, a value of $35). The class is limited to 24 persons per class. For more information please email Ben Pruitt at shotgunfreddbbqshowdown@gmail.com or benatt41@aol.com

Had a GREAT time at this event! I will definitely continue to do KCBS when I can. Met a lot of great people and learned some things too! We were 19th overall, out of 37 teams, with 2nd Chef's Choice, 3rd Dessert, 3rd Beans, 10th Pork and 14th Brisket. Congrats to Butcher BBQ, GC, and American Dream, RGC. Hope to see y'all again next year!

Also, I met a pretty cool guy there too. Hope to see you again Donnie!

Back