120 gal propane tank smoker build

landshark530

Knows what a fatty is.
I'm starting a smoker build. I picked up a 120 gallon propane tank for $50.00. I picked it up from a local propane dealer. Rolled it on the trailer and headed to the local car wash. Poured in a full bottle of palmolive soap and ran the pressure washer into the tank for 20 minutes, had a nice stream of bubbles rollin out. Drove it around town and then a 15 mile trip to a buddies house. Tank was frothing nicely during the trip.

Left the tank for 3 days and then filled it with water and cut the door. Was going to use plasma but a buddy had a milwaukee metal cutting saw, Basically a low rpm high torque circular saw. Blade looks like a carbide blade for cutting wood. That thing cut my tank like a tablesaw cuts oak. Super fast, and nice clean cuts. Welded some cheap hinges on the door and completed the cuts. While the tank was full of water I used a scrub brush to scrub out the tank. Did an burn out after that and was ready to roll.

I'm working with the local high school shop class for the fab work. I could build it at my buddies place but don't have the time and haven't welded since 10th grade. (I'm pretty sure I sucked at it). I have access to the school so putting in sweat equity in their nice shop will be a plus.

Looking at a 24x24x24 firebox and lining it with firebrick. Insulated is an option, or I could add a steel sleeve later if the firebrick turns into epic fail.

Was on the fence between RF and standard until I read Rich from Gator Pit's story about their pits and tuning plates, so I'm going with tuning plates.

Have most things figured out except for exhaust location. My smokemaster has the exhaust at grate level, one grate. If I add a rack type second grate I know the meat on that grate cooks way faster, so I'm assuming the lower exhaust is keeping the top of the smoke chamber 50-100 degrees hotter than the lower. My plan is to have the exhaust opening just above the highest grate level.

I'll take any advise I can get from other tank builder that have crossed this bridge before me.

More pics to come.

Attachments

• 20170222_171106.jpg
    20170222_171106.jpg
    61.3 KB · Views: 275
Sweet start.. I would advise you to put exhaust in the place you plan on it. With tuning plates it should work well as the plates will allow the heat to get through the cook chamber before exiting..

I've been building a new line of pipe smokers, both traditional and RF using a Franklin style exhaust set at the main grate level. This REALLY works great and has a lot of benefits. This is a picture of a RF version.
IMG_1390_zpsxcuix7c7.jpg

I have a 120 gal RF with 2 racks, and my exhaust is dead center right in-between them. I get about a 15* difference, and I can get it higher if I want two zones just by tipping the cooker a bit. It works in your favor, actually. It's nice to put chicken on top so I can get that nice crispy skin.

I've been building a new line of pipe smokers, both traditional and RF using a Franklin style exhaust set at the main grate level. This REALLY works great and has a lot of benefits. This is a picture of a RF version.
IMG_1390_zpsxcuix7c7.jpg

That looks really nice! Nice craftsmanship.

Back