THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

So, I had some free time this weekend and managed to fabricate up some hinges from scratch. It went pretty well considering it was just from scrap pieces I had laying around.

Started out with this...a scrap blank of 1/4" plate

And made this...

Cleaned up the edges, cut some 1" round bar and 1" round bar tubes

Whipped up the receiving tube

Bracket and round bar assembled

Test fit

Checking clearance before I weld everything into place

Test SAT

Tacked down

Cleaned up the edges and looks pretty good. Excuse the nasty welds...those will get cleaned up later on :wink:

Well...at least it opens :biggrin1:

Pretty happy overall...

Anyways, getting closer...just have some welding of the box itself left and then should be hopefully mounting it to the actual tank soon!!

Cheers,

Dale

So...today I made a rookie mistake and am kicking myself for it. I would like some advice from the audience here.

When mounting my FB to the CC everything looked good. I'm not sure if something shifted when welding and applying heat but now the FB sits "ever so slightly cockeyed". It basically slants down and away from the CC by about 1/16" maybe less. I had my wife walk out and look and she said she could notice but only probably because I said something. I took my 13yr old out and she couldn't tell.

So, I'm inclined to just leave it and chock it up as a beginner mistake, learn a lesson and move on. But that other side of me says to rip it apart and do it over. The problem with ripping it apart is it isn't just merely tacked in....it's WELDED in place and would be a nightmare to undo.

Here are some pics...

My gut says just leave it be to avoid doing more harm than good by attempting to rip it all apart. And it doesn't impact the functionality whatsoever...so it's just aesthetic. :doh:

What do y'all think?

-Dale

Looks like the heat pulled it down. Just don't leave your square lying around and don't say a word and no one will be the wiser. The build looks great.

Actually, you did that intentionally to keep water from sitting on there and causing rust if you leave it out in the rain.

There is no way I would try to cut that off and reattach. You will be lucky to get it back as good as it is, and much much more likely to make things worse.

BTW, in the future, tack it on in a few spots first. Verify it is straight, and then weld in sections. Big long welds starting at on side and going to the other are a recipe for heat deformation.

Yep, it was a valuable lesson learned for sure. I'm glad it wasn't worse too. And yeah it was was a total natural gradient for water runoff :mrgreen:

Thank you guys very much for your input. It is greatly appreciated and I'll sleep better now, lol.

At least when this thing is done I'll have fond memories and something to be proud of. I'm surprised to have made it this far and not royally screw something up :shock:

Looking good Badgoat! :clap2:

Nobody's gonna notice your firebox fit up galloping by on a white horse!

Keep it up......:thumb:

Ed

if you are that worried about it add a couple of spacers for additional heat deflection and add a platform / top that would work as a table / counter area.

Great Job! Great Thread! absolutely jealous of your skills. All this work will make your BBQ taste all the more better.

Agreed once you build a pit and cook on it.. you will never be more proud of the que you churn out from it.. their is no better feeling other than watching your kids grow up and being proud of them.

Could use some help here. So I have been working on this build, have gotten up to a point where I am mounting the exhaust stack and I just started looking everything over. I stumbled across SMF (Smoking Meat Forums) and have been reading through the pit builds and there is a guy over there (Dave Omak) that frequently gives advice and links to a "Reverse Flow tutorial often". I've gone through the tutorial and recrunched my number (yes, I know kinda late in the game) but I discovered something that is making me sick to my stomach as I think I may have made a crucial error...

I discovered the tutorial and subsequently the "Circle Calculator" (http://www.1728.org/circsect.htm). According to the tutorial I calculated merely off of diameter which I thought I was good to go according to Feldons Calculator. But once I used this Circle calculator and calculated for "Segment Area" mine came out to only 63.5"!!! When I am supposed to have 123" according to the Circle calculator (mind you the diameter checks out). My AB Chord is: 18" and my Segment ED is: 5"

HERE ARE MY NUMBERS BASED OFF THE TUTORIAL BELOW:

Calculations for a standard design, reverse flow smoker..

Volume of the Cook Chamber.... Use the Inside Diameter of the tank... All smoker calculations are based on the volume of the Cook Chamber....

Diameter X Diameter X 0.7854 X Length (24x24x.7854) = 30,762 Volume in cubic inches / 231 = (133) Volume in gallons

Volume in cubic inches X 0.004 (30,762x.004)= (123) FB/CC opening in square inches

Volume in cubic inches X 0.004 (30,762x.004)= (123) Area under the RF plate in square inches

Volume in cubic inches X 0.004 (30,762x.004)= (123) Area required at the end of the RF plate in square inches

Volume in cubic inches X 0.33 = (10,151) minimum volume of the Fire Box

The above areas are necessary for great air/heat/smoke flow.... using less may cause an overheated FB.... Narrow / Long CC may require an increase in those numbers due to increased surface area friction to volume... Wide/Fat Short CC may use smaller numbers due to reduced surface area friction to volume...

Volume in cubic inches X 0.001 = (30.762) FB air inlets in square inches...

Recommended upper and lower air inlets... Upper air inlet directly across from the FB/CC opening to facilitate moving heat from the FB to the CC, and insuring good air flow through the CC.. The lower air inlet should be situated at or below the fuel grate.... The two air inlets can share the designated square inches of opening.... approx. 20% upper and 80% lower...

Volume in cubic inches X 0.022= (676.76) Exhaust Stack Volume in cubic inches, above the CC.... (ESV) .. (The increase in volume ~30% shows a dramatic improvement in equalized temperatures across the cooking surface... edit 6/19/15 )

Exhaust Calculation..

.7854x6x6 = (28.27") Stack Length in inches (36" +/-)
0.7854 X Stack Diameter X Stack Diameter

So, in short, I feel like I really really screwed the pooch on this one and didn't make my FB/CC opening big enough. I'm hoping/crossing my fingers that where I am at right now is going to be ok, but I'm just not sure now. And like I said, I have an insulated FB, it's fully welded to the tank, I've started to mount up the exhaust stack and was going to move onto the RF plate next UNTIL I stumbled across this. This is just going to be a nightmare to tear apart if I have too...just lost atm and could use some guidance.

Any help/assistance would be certainly warranted.

Thanks guys.

Dale:pray:

Back