1/4 inch vs 3/16 on a smoker

pitchingcoach

Got Wood.
I have an early 2000's OK Joe Smoker that is obviously not from Perry, OK. I have figured out how to maintain and burn a clean fire in summer and winter weather. My question is, in my DFW location how much is the extra thickness worth when it comes to $ and time and maybe most important quality of the end result product which I know has more variables like quality of meat and skill of the guy manning the pit. I have seen on craigslist an original OK Joe smoker for sale and wondering if it is worth my extra $

the thicker steel once will retain the heat a lot better and will use less wood and the pit will last a lifetime and maybe my kids if it is taken care of .

Thicker material will all be less fuel, maintain heat, pit lasts longer

Quality of food wont be affected if you are capable of maintaining temp with what you have

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

3/16 vs 1/4" - Won't make a Chit........... now if you mean the 14 gauge cheapos or worse (16-18 gauge) vs 1/4" then Yes it'll make a small difference.

Last edited:
3/16" is not that much different than 1/4" where cook chambers are concerned. Lang's were made out of 3/16" propane tanks for years where everyone sang their praises and nobody complained. The 1/4" will take more fuel to warm up to temp so the idea that they are more fuel miserly is a bit of a myth. Once at temp they cruise thru variations smoother but everytime they dip in temp it takes more to recover.

Fireboxes are a totally different thing. You want the thickest you can find and afford.

3/16 on a baffle plate is a no no for me.... i could not begin to tell you the number of rotten baffle plates i have cut out for people..... on cookers where the baffles were thin material, on all 30 inch cookers i personally build i require the customer to go with a 3/8 thick baffle..... why??? Longevity!!!!! thing is its prolly going to cost 250$$ more for the 3/8 baffle but in the grand scheme of things when your spending 6 to 10,000$$ it's just a no brainer to me

For a offset I'd say 1/4" firebox with a 3/16" cook chamber is good. Honestly I think a 1/8" thick pit would suffice for a good chunk of people. Look at the old country Pecos or oklahoma joe highland. They sell like hot cakes (huge advantage being in big box stores but still). Just keep it clean and don't let it sit in the elements year round.

Back