THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rich Parker

Babbling Farker
I have wanted to cook a tri tip for quite a while but the only store that I have found them in around Grand Rapids is pricey and they look tiny. I was able to split a case of Snake River Farms tri tips with a few bbq friends in the area.

I had planned on entering this in to the Man Sized Meat throwdown but then realized mine isn't just one serving and unlike Gore I don't like to be DQ'ed. :crazy:

The piece of beefy art.
6251897598_b90dc97b60_b.jpg

Rubbed with Montreal Steak Seasoning
6251371447_b6aa606924_b.jpg

I went back and forth how on how to cook it and decided on indirect until 118 and then direct until 125 in the thickest part.
6251897912_0e89cc76d6_b.jpg

Resting
6251371827_a7e1cfde94_b.jpg

Sliced
6251371935_de84d021bc_b.jpg

Served with my favorite side Stovetop stuffing
6251372075_074664328f_b.jpg

Brandy and Maddy enjoying it
6251897462_177fb0b37d_b.jpg

Beautiful looking meat. I hope all the folks who think they need to cook TT to 160+ take a look at your pics. That is a thing of beauty right there!

Thanks everyone!

It was melt in your mouth delicious. The worst part is this was the first tri tip i have ever cooked, so i can't compare it to choice or prime grade cuts. All i know is that tri tip will be a regular in our household from now on.

Rich,

That Tri-Tip looks superb. You really dialed in on the cook, too.

This was a Kobe Tri-Tip I got a while back, and I wasn't aware Snake River Farms also had Wagyu.

IMG_3697.jpg

Thanks guys!

Rich,

That Tri-Tip looks superb. You really dialed in on the cook, too.

This was a Kobe Tri-Tip I got a while back, and I wasn't aware Snake River Farms also had Wagyu.

Snake River Farms classifies all there beef as "American Style Wagyu (Kobe)", so i guess the more accurate title to thread would be that.

It doesn't really matter what we call because it was melt in your mouth beefy goodness. :becky:

I'm curious about the marbling, or lack thereof, in this American style "Kobe" beef?
Is that the normal level of acceptable marbling or do they sell it in tiers according to the level of marbling?
Are any other members eating American style "Kobe" beef regularly and can share some insight ?
To save someone typing, I already know that it isn't really Wagyu because the Japanese haven't allowed the genes out but a cross probably between a Tajima-Ushi and an Angus creating an F-1 "Wagyu".
I also realize that "Kobe Beef" is a registered name for marketing of Tajima Ushi raised in the Kobe region...I just am curious about how the market is evolving in the USA in general.
That leaner beef in the photo is a far smarter beef quality for preparing thick like steak on a BBQ, that is for sure!:thumb:

Back