Masterbuilt Electric Smoker

EXSmoker

Wandering around with a bag of matchlight, looking for a match.
Reaction score
Anyone familiar with the Masterbuilt 4-rack digital electric smoker?
Any recommendations?

It's how I got started smoking and loved the ease of temp control. For someone (me) that didn't want to mess around with charcoal yet it was a great cooker. The biggest challenge is the lack of smoke flavor since burning chips doesn't give off as much smoke as wood chunks. I added chips abour every 45mins-1hr. Others have used the a maze n tube (here) for additional flavor.

Other than that I used to roll it at max temp 275 most of the time to get things done faster. Not sure how new you are to the smoking game, but when I started with it I just rubbed the meat tossed it in and started learning my cooker :-D. Have fun!

I have one that I used for a couple of years and it is fine but not a lot of smoke flavor! I also got the cold smoker that mounts where the chip tube goes so I wasn't constantly adding wood chips. The smoke doesn't last long with out refills regularly without the addition.

I will tell you that my digital display on the unit lost the plastic covering which is the buttons and writing after 2 years old and Masterbuilt sent me a new display unit free of charge and was one of my best customer service experiences ever. So I have nothing but praise for the company!!

Rick!!

First smoker I got. I still use it from time to time. I'll add a few small chunks of charcoal in with the chips, about quarter size. Helps add some flavor to the meat.

My first smoker as well. Still have it but do not use it any more because I do not throw stuff away. It worked good and got me into smoking at a different level. I would recommend it as an entry level cooker or if space is a concern.

I had a cheap off set smoker for my first and it almost ruined me. Followed that up with a master built and it got me on the right path. It was a huge stepping stone for me. Gave it to my cousin several years ago but appreciated the lessons.

I received one for Christmas couple years ago, nice unit, got me and my wife addicted to BBQ, used it for a year without any issues then it sat untouched after I started smoking on my kettle and offset. Sometimes I wish I still had it for when I'm feeling lazy..

My first smoker as well and was a great entry in to the hobby. There is a distinct lack of smoke flavor compared to smoking with fire, but it's extremely easy to use and almost impossible to screw up meat with it.

I built a UDS last summer and I've been using that almost exclusively since, however, the electric is awesome for finishing up - as in, put a pork butt on the UDS for 6 hours and finish it on the electric.

The masterbuilt is also great for beef jerky since you can keep the temp controlled so easily.

I have a 30". Use it for sausage and snack stick only.
Works great for these. Removed the chip tray and factory temp controls.
Use a Amazn for smoke and a Auber PID for temp control.

ok for summer, useless for winter, while i changed the elements twice and the company was very helpful sending new elements the cooker would not reach 150 degrees in january in the garage. sold it on craigslist and bought a wsm with a party q and temps never an issue even dead of winter at -18,, it might work fine in NC but not in the north

I have a 30". Use it for sausage and snack stick only.
Works great for these. Removed the chip tray and factory temp controls.
Use a Amazn for smoke and a Auber PID for temp control.

I have a standard cheap Brinkman vertical and added a hot plate and Amaz-n-tube smoker. Perfect for cool smoking sausage and making jerky. With the electric smoker you can do both but just add the tube smoker.

Back