homemade 22 wsm build in progress

smoke ninja

somebody shut me the fark up.

Batch Image
Batch Image
I had an old kettle wasting away. I saw a drum on the side of the road. Instead of building a uds, that would be too easy, I decided on a homemade wsm. The world's large mini if you will.

I started by cutting the top ring off the drum so the weber lid would fit.

Then I cut the bottom 1/3 off the drum at the rib.

In order to get a good fit I welded the ring I cut off the top of the drum to the bottom of the kettle.

Pic of my dad, he's a ninja too. He stopped by to help. It's good to share my hobby with him.

I cut the legs down on the kettle, drilled some holes for bolts for the grates and diffuser to rest on.

I'm putting together a charcoal ring out of expanded metal an gonna get some high heat paint.

Still a work in progress, any comments or suggestions would be appreciated.

I'll post more pics as I get it finished up, it may not be til next weekend though

Last edited:
What are your plans for the water pan? I tried searching for one to use as a replacement for mine and didn't have any luck. I know that Weber will sell them, but their not cheap.

Let us know how it turns out!

Eric

You made a baby Magnum Force Smoker
IMG06.jpg

http://bbq.about.com/od/customsmokers/ig/Custom-Smoker-Gallery/Magnum-Force-Smoker.htm
I've been on the lookout for a free barrel to do something similar.

It will NEVER work!!!! :mrgreen:

I just happen to have a coal basket already built you can borrow and try if interested. You know where I live :thumb:

I fabbed the charcoal ring with expanded metal from home depot. It's as big as the 18 wsm. Think I should go bigger? I'm worried I won't get long enough burn times.

I'm using the charcoal grate but thinking of putting the fire higher up on the original grilling grate, any opinions?

Diffuser could be a pizza pan or some steel or whatever. I'm trying to do this mostly with stuff we have lying around. Dad says he has some slate, I'm gonna go shopping in his garage this week. I don't plan on a water pan but could use an old stainless bowl or cast iron pot. Ideas for the diffuser/ pan are welcome.

We used some L brackets for feet to give it added stability also thinking about adding a door. I'm doing a burn out now I'd guess. It's over 600* with a small load of cowboy lump.

Should I paint or leave her with the character.

Opinions and advice are appreciated.

My drum baskets measure about 12x14 inches and will run 24+ hours. Your slate would be great for holding heat, but im not to sure what it would do to air flow. My pizza pan diffusers haxe holes I drilled in them for flow. I say dont paint it! Leave the character!

Back