Small stickburner recommendations needed

Jaskew82

is Blowin Smoke!
Reaction score
Ok brethren, I need your help again! :thumb:

I am very interested in trying out a stickburner. I have a WSM, stumps, BGE and a UDS. I enjoy them all very much but have never cooked on a stick burner. I don't know anyone that has one so I am thinking of purchasing an inexpensive one to try out.

I know the cheap-O models at the big box stores are typically crappy. I am not seeing anything on craigslist. I don't want to spend $1500 on a small lang.

Any suggestions?!

Hold out until you can find something gently used: otherwise you won't be able to get a true feel for how a good stick burner works if you get a very thin one.

I started on one (El cheapo), and a real good one is like night and day compared to what you can pick up at a hardware store.

You've got other good cookers so don't give into the pressure of a sick burner until you can afford it.

Thanks. Does anyone make a reverse flow like the OK Joe?

OK Joe is not a reverse flow

Walmart sells a smaller version of the OK Joe for a lot cheaper, from what I understand they are the same otherwize

I had one, sold it to Smoke Ninja. it was a good pit. Fairly heavy steel for what it is

Walmart sells a smaller version of the OK Joe for a lot cheaper, from what I understand they are the same otherwize

I had one, sold it to Smoke Ninja. it was a good pit. Fairly heavy steel for what it is

Hey, I just meant does anyone sell a pit similar to the OK Joe but in reverse flow.

Thanks for all of the suggestions.

If you're not in a hurry, keep an eye on CL and the General For Sale forum here for a while longer and see what pops up. You'll probably get a better smoker for less money.

I have th brinkamn trailmaster and have been pretty happy with it, although i saw the OK joe at Walmart and liked that one a lot. bigger cooking chamber, better firebox. Etc etc. Either way you go you will need to make some mods for it to perform decently. Mainly a diffuser plate and possibly lowering the exhaust.

Have you looked at Old Country smokers, start about $400 sold at Academy

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gybrM6EQ6fg"]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gybrM6EQ6fg[/ame]

Last edited:
Oklahoma Joe Longhorn, ( Wal mart or Lowes) Chargriller( easy & cheap mods Ask me)
As the COSs go Bludawg's got you lined up here. I always look at the pits in the box stores for something to do while the women are looking for hair products lol, and I 'd agree that those he mentioned would be a pretty inexpensive way to get into the world of stick burning (WITH MODS).:wink: However,....

If you're not in a hurry, keep an eye on CL and the General For Sale forum here for a while longer and see what pops up. You'll probably get a better smoker for less money.
This is what I would do. Wait a while and something of quality will come along at a good price. I started with a NB Black Diamond which for it's time was a good cooker for a COS but it still needed a few mods to really work properly.
I'd wait and find something with doors that seal well, with thick steel (1/4 inch preferably) and has a good design behind it. There are a lot of quality cookers that were bought by people who really didn't know what they were doing and don't want to learn. These pits have only been used a couple of times and sooner or later the owners will want to turn loose of them so that they can buy something stupid like rims for their car, golf clubs or get into some other new fad or hobby that comes along... LOL!!!:-D

Keep your eyes peeled for a Brinkman Cimmaron. 1/4" steel, firebox welded to the cook chamber. Not reverse flow but by adding tuning plates you can get the temps pretty even end to end.

Keep an eye out on cl and this forum, I bought a klose last year from a brethren for $600, very solid, excellent stick burner

I've been happy with it. Of coarse mine came ready with a few mods. I feel it's a great entry level smoker.

I bought the Old Country Pecos a few months ago at Academy. it is a good COS. I am still working on modifiing it the way i want it. it was well worth the $400 and cooks great.

I bought the Old Country Pecos a few months ago at Academy. it is a good COS. I am still working on modifiing it the way i want it. it was well worth the $400 and cooks great.
Those are sturdy smokers, built with thick steel (1/4 inch I believe). The ones I looked at were a little loose around the door seals but a bead of high heat calking would probably fix it. They seem to be really good smokers for the money though!:-D

Can you or someone you know weld? if so you can easily put one together. My buddy and I threw this one together with free stuff from Craigslist. I have under $200 into it with the fenders and tires and it even has a rotisserie. Granted we really can`t weld that well but we towed it 30 miles to cook for a wedding and it handled the drive and cooking for almost 80 people.

Back