What to offer on this offset?

Retail, I bought something similar in many ways back in the 1990's for $750. If it's new, it's worth the $500 if this is the type of smoker you desire. I'd probably start at $400 (hoping for a bargain), and be prepared to pay the $500, again if it's the type you want.

Retail, I bought something similar in many ways back in the 1990's for $750. If it's new, it's worth the $500 if this is the type of smoker you desire. I'd probably start at $400 (hoping for a bargain), and be prepared to pay the $500, again if it's the type you want.

I do want to try this type. Although I'm not sure if I should get the cheaper one at Walmart for $268. I probably wont use very often as I use my ceramic in the winter and mostly my kettle in nicer weather.

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Oklahoma-Joe-s-Highland-Smoker-Grill-Black/33605961

I just want to try a stick burner out. Would only use maybe 4 to 8 times a year possibly so not sure $500 is worth it for me.

I have had cheap offsets and I Have had a few pieces of big iron if you want an off set go big iron! While a cheap thin tin pit will teach you much about fire management they can lead to alcoholism & divorce from frustration and creosoted food. If your just going to use it a few times a year 500 is money well spent you save 250 in fuel costs in 2 seasons over a cheap OKJ pit. If you don't like it you won't loose money on a resale either. Your flower pot cost double+ and you only use it in the winter so...

I have had cheap offsets and I Have had a few pieces of big iron if you want an off set go big iron! While a cheap thin tin pit will teach you much about fire management they can lead to alcoholism & divorce from frustration and creosoted food. If your just going to use it a few times a year 500 is money well spent you save 250 in fuel costs in 2 seasons over a cheap OKJ pit. If you don't like it you won't loose money on a resale either. Your flower pot cost double+ and you only use it in the winter so...

100% spot on; particularly the part about "if you want an offset go big iron!".

Small cheap offsets can be miserable.

Looks like a nice pit. Dont waste your money on the Walmart one. Imo you're halfway there if youre thinking about the Walmart one that will not last long and be a headache. That will last you forever and you can flip it when you dont want it anymore as opposed to the COS that wont give any return on your investment so to speak.

Thanks for the input guys.

I got a killer deal on my flower pot. $200 for a brand new Grill dome. Company was liquidating them. I did drive to New Hampshire and back for it. Which was a 21 hour round trip drive but was well worth it.

Still waiting to hear back about the smoker.

Guy told me he would take $350. Anything I need to look at to make sure its built right? I don't know a lot about offset builds. Thanks.

Thickness of the material, quality of the welds, baffle/tuning plates from the fire box, condition of grates, etc...

Thickness. Thickness. Thickness!!! Make sure it really is 1/4" steel (take a tape measure with you!). Most these days aren't because of the higher cost of materials. Most of them are 1/8" thick and they suuuuuuuuck. Check the doors, intake and exhaust for gaps, a common problem on cheap offsets which will be very frustrating on windy days. I bought one that looks about like yours about 8 years ago, paid $300 I think.

Last edited:
Get it!

With 1/4" well casing there ain't nothing that can't be fixed. I would hope the firebox is welded to the cook camber (not bolted) andit as a firebasket & tuning plates, but again with that thickness of steel you can easily do any necessary mods. or repairs.

Ask for pics of the inside make sure no rust problems are present. If you are close I wouldn't offer anything over email/text just ask if you can take a look. Its been up 4 days gauge how motivated to sell he is. I would try to get it for 350 and pay no more than 425 (depends on condition and how the bargaining goes). Also, when doing craigslist deals I always carry different amounts of money in each pocket (300 in wallet, 50 in back pocket, 50 in other back pocket, and 25 split between pockets. Also carry various denominations of bills as in don't carry 5 hundred dollar bills etc. Chances are the seller will be hesitant to give you change. Sellers in my experience will not help you to load the item so take someone to help.

Not sure if these pics help. He said I would need a trailer to haul since it's 400 pounds or so.

Last edited:
Legendaryhog is right about thickness, thickness, thickness!!!! There's a major difference cooking on 1/8" steel vs 1/4" when it's windy, cold or both.

$350 is a great price. As others have said, check the welds and the thickness. Make loading and unloading it for you part of the deal ;-)

Looks like it was built kinda funny with the fire grate on the side and horizontal stack???lol Sorry I had to!

Honestly though it looks stout and judging by the seasoning inside it works and has been worked as well. Take some wood and ask him to show you its sweet spot and how it wants to be run and it will tell you all you want to know.
Being 20"x48" it will probably have a good temp variance side to side but nothing that a little tuning plate and time can't fix

Back