A mask/respirator while using smokers.

Why not cook with a probe in the meat so you have to open the door even less?

I hadn't thought about that in a long while. I am getting one this week!

Really helpful!

I was kind of bummed, when I posted the question earlier today. However, now I am much more optimistic... thanks to all that took time to post comments.

I wear a mask and goggles when cleaning the firebox.

I used to wear them if I had to put my head too close to the smoke. This was more common with the pellet grill or anything with a fixed grate. Ever since switching to a vertical with slide out shelves, I can avoid the face full of smoke a lot easier. No more goggles and mask.

Good luck finding a solution.

I take it you've had your lung capacity tested. It takes some lung power to resperate a full on respirator. I just mention it because of the C.O.P.D.

Yes, I am nearly back to my "normal" capacity.

I hadn't used a respirator since my Air Force days...and it does take some huffing to get it working...must keep your comment in mind.

Thank you.

Go to granger and get a North mask with magenta HEPA cartridge. Good mask and cheap
I have worn this mask, also from Grainger, while working in an asbestos environment for years. The only thing is, I also go to a doctor once a year to have a sporometry test ( it tests your breathing capacity). This test is needed to be sure you can wear a respirator. A respirator requires strong lungs to overcome the restriction of breathing through the filters. Also, we go to have a test fit and learn how to properly fit it to your face, check the operation of the valves etc. It aint like putting on a particle mask for sure.

This thread is one of the many reasoned why this is the greatest place on the World Wide Web! The brethren come thru no matter what!!

I hope you can Overcome your problem!

A respirator requires strong lungs to overcome the restriction of breathing through the filters. Also, we go to have a test fit and learn how to properly fit it to your face, check the operation of the valves etc. It aint like putting on a particle mask for sure.
Another option which I used for awhile, very similar. You could use a clear mask/shield and rig up the air pump. Just a thought.
http://solutions.3m.com/wps/portal/...oryProtection/FreshAirCSuppliedAirRespirator/
I used to carry 4 different inhalers and shots every week for quite a few years. Most every mask I tried was extremely hard to breathe thru. I had testing mostly every month.
Got the big "D", which got rid of the pets and now I can breathe again without all the crap.

This thread is one of the many reasoned why this is the greatest place on the World Wide Web! The brethren come thru no matter what!!

So true...I figured I'd find solutions here, where people suggest methods to resolve a problem.

It appears that many others who have also have thought about ways to minimize exposure to smoke from pits. It is something for all to just be aware of as time goes by. In my case, the body just doesn't process oxygen like it did 30 years ago as a former runner.

I hope you can Overcome your problem!

Thank you. I certainly will consider all of the advice given on this thread.

Note to all.... Have fun in smoking meats and providing great food for your friends and family. Just be careful out there in that fog....

Have not seen it mentioned, why not set up a large fan to either blow or suck the smoke fumes away from you and from the smoker. This may only be a temporary solution until you find something more permanent but it works, many restaurants use fans to suck smoke away when they open the doors to their smokers, so the house doesn't fill up with smoke. You could also raise the stack if it is not already above your head. You only need to turn it on while you are working inside the smoker.
Dave

According to Occupational Health and Environmental Safety, only SCBA (Self Contained Breathing Apparatus) is suitable for all of the possible contaminants that can be released by fires in all situations. Metropolitan fire fighters use SCBA routinely because the contaminants and their concentrations are unknown in most of their applications.

Respirators with filters will remove some but not all of the fire products from the air. There is no filter capable of filtering every substance.

Hopefully I can add something worthy, since I was a fire fighter for many years. First, there are filters that can remove EVERYTHING, but they are crazy expensive. We were each given a full face mask respirator with 1 multi gas filter. It would filter out everything including nerve agents, chlorine gas, and many other things. Once the aluminum package seal was broken it would only be good for 20 minutes, for all things. The filters cost over a $100 each. MSA made them.

Firefighters use positive pressure SCBA so the air we breath is not only clean but also does not burn our lungs.

Once we put out a fire we went into overhaul. Basically we tore down the drywall to make sure the fire was not hiding somewhere and then carry everything out. We switched to rubber masks with cartridge filters for this. Our air packs only lasted 20 minutes or 40 minutes depending on the bottle, and that is just sitting around not doing anything. I could suck a bottle dry in 15 easy. So the rubber mask was a good alternative. We used the carbon and micron filtering filters. I did a lot of overhaul without them also, they make a difference. I think it would be worth trying as they don't cost that much.

We used to use a three stage filter, dust, micron and carbon for applying chemicals. It is not pleasant to wear all day, but, to be honest, if you are using it for BBQ, you wouldn't need it on all day, just for periods of time when you are near the cooker. To be honest, if I was going to run a BBQ joint, I might well consider wearing one of these when working near the pit.

We bought the filters from a professional spray supplier, but, the mask unit can be purchased at any Home Depot or Lowes.

Have not seen it mentioned, why not set up a large fan to either blow or suck the smoke fumes away from you and from the smoker. This may only be a temporary solution until you find something more permanent but it works, many restaurants use fans to suck smoke away when they open the doors to their smokers, so the house doesn't fill up with smoke. You could also raise the stack if it is not already above your head. You only need to turn it on while you are working inside the smoker.
Dave

I am setting up a large industrial fan near the smoker, based on your comments. Home depot has some good sized fans that are 3 foot diameter, which will work great.

thanks!

Back