Comp Pork Butt

Pelkster

Full Fledged Farker
Reaction score
Greeting everyone!

So I'm stuck and in a rut. For some reason I have lost the ability to cook a proper pork butt for competitions. Either they are coming out really tough and difficult to get any usable pieces or they are overcooked and it's difficult to get any usable pieces. Since last year I've been pulling the money muscle off when it hits about 160-170 and then wrapping the rest to finish. I'm using the same flavor profile that I've used since I started (when I had much better success). This past weekend we cooked them until the money muscle was done, and then wrapped them up to finish. They never hit about 185 but when we went for turn ins they crumbled and were very mushy.

I've thought about changing the flavor profile altogether but if I'm not cooking it right then it doesn't matter what I'm using for a rub and injection. UGH! I just don't know what to do at this point. I'm frustrated by it. Two years bad pork cost the team two or three GC's. Now I'm at the point where I don't want to compete anymore because I can't seem to get this area of my cook down and I'm tired of having a bad cook pull me down.

Any advice or pointers would be appreciated. Thank you.

would like to know more about your cook process before I can really give any advice. I had great results in pork last year. I did only 5 KCBS contests but was in top 10 in pork in all, 3rd place twice..

Since last year I've been pulling the money muscle off when it hits about 160-170 and then wrapping the rest to finish.

Why? Just because KCBS rules say you can doesn't mean you should.

Leave the MM on and take it to at least 185.

We cook whole butts, and have been top five in our five contests so far this year.

Leave that MM be till you're ready to pull the whole thing. We tried separating last year in practice, and found that it cooled too much, and if we put it back on to warm it up then we would over shoot our target and get a mess.

Probe into the MM or the surrounding meat and cook that till it hits 185* then start checking for tenderness. I have my iGrill set to alert me when it gets to 185, then I use my thermapen to check for tenderness, and when it is where I want it I pull it and into the cambro it goes. We've had a bit of success with pork this year, and this is the process we've used every time :) (with a few more steps thrown in there after it's off the cooker, but this should get you on track).

What were you doing before last year? Have you changed cookers, source of pork, cooking temp, wrapping at a different time?
if youre having trouble with getting the majority of the butt properly cooked, focus on that and forget about the mm until you nail the your doneness again. Check the accuracy of your probe in some ice water, make sure its accurate.

All excellent advice. I am using the same cookers so thats ruled out. The only thing I've done is change from 8 or 9 pound butts from Wegmans to getting a 20lb twin pack from Rest. Depot.

I butterfly the butts when trimming, inject about 10 hrs before I start cooking them. Smoker runs at 250 and I use hickory amd cherry, cooking with the fat cap side down. I didn't wrap my butts before and started to after my struggles began. I am considering going back to a little smaller of a shoulder and forgetting the wrap.

All excellent advice. I am using the same cookers so thats ruled out. The only thing I've done is change from 8 or 9 pound butts from Wegmans to getting a 20lb twin pack from Rest. Depot.

I butterfly the butts when trimming, inject about 10 hrs before I start cooking them. Smoker runs at 250 and I use hickory amd cherry, cooking with the fat cap side down. I didn't wrap my butts before and started to after my struggles began. I am considering going back to a little smaller of a shoulder and forgetting the wrap.

There can be as much as 10* or more in finishing temps from different sources of butts. Don't ask me how I learned this....

I never did as good in Pork with RD butts as with SAMs or Kroger butts. I have also have done ok with Tyson butts from Wally World.(Tyson and Moist and Tender are individually packaged)
I cook butts at 235° and wrap at 4-4.5 hours(not IT). I cook until the money muscle hit 182°, part, wrap them and put in a pre heated cambro. finish butts to 189°-192° when tender, i dont vent the foil but put in cambro on the middle rack then burp every 30-60 minutes until the steam stops rolling out, then leave it until time to start pulling.
I unwrap the MM's and suace and put back on the top rack to reheat when I sauce the ribs.

This is just what works for me. Hope it might help you.

Thanks for the help. Sounds like everyone has a similar process just varying times. I'm going to do a practice butt in the next week or two in advance of my next comp. I'll let ya'll know how it goes.

Back