THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

dwfisk

Quintessential Chatty Farker
Name or Nickame
Dave
You know, when dinosaur bones that are cut down across the bone into 1/2 inch thick slices usually for an Asian style BBQ; I see them at Sams Club pretty much all the time. I've marinated and seared and really like the results, but
does anybody marinate then slow smoke; just guessing but I'm thinking about 275* for a couple, maybe 3 hours on the GMG Davey Crocket???

Never tried them low and slow. Always do a high heat sear just until the outside caramelizes. Speaking of, been a while since we made these. Going to have to get with the wife to make a batch again...

Oh, and the wife always likes them thin. Quarter inch at the most...

I cook them just like I would a Brisket until probe tender, they're my favorite as far as BBQ goes.

I do cook full 3-4 bone racks like a brisket and we love them; my boys call them brisket-on-a-stick. But I'm not sure about cooking little 1/4"-1/2" slices like that.

I do cook full 3-4 bone racks like a brisket and we love them; my boys call them brisket-on-a-stick. But I'm not sure about cooking little 1/4"-1/2" slices like that.

I'm sorry I miss understood, the Navy Base Commissary cuts them up like that as well as 2" single bones, which sometimes I'll cook up because I don't want to wait for a Butcher. I usually ask a Butcher to cut a plate (3 bones) of Short Ribs in half remove the membrane and cut excess fat off the top.

I have never cooked those thin sliced across the bone ribs.

The Famous Azeka Ribs (Azeka store Maui...closed about 6 yrs ago) were based on Korean Style Short Ribs I.e., Flanken cut...if you can view the attachment, this is a clone recipe..I'm here on Maui making them tonight šŸ˜ŽšŸ¤™..Aloha

Attachments

• IMG_4201.jpg
    IMG_4201.jpg
    18.8 KB · Views: 227
I always did a Southeast Asian marinade and then cooked them offset on the Weber kettle and then moved over the fire to brown/sear them. Always came out great. Lately I have been cooking them over oak coals/embers on the firepit (same marinade)....also tender and tasty. I find that the low temp for a while then finishing over the hot coals makes them extremely tender.

As Andy said, we know those as Tablitas. I grew up eating those and they are still one of my favorites to cook. A quick coating of fresh lime juice, garlic salt, pepper and on to a grill over a mesquite coal bed.

I cook them enough to render all the fat and slightly charr them but not burned. Delicious. My wife loves them so we cook them often.

Thanks for all the input, much appreciated! Here is what I'm gonna do:
1) buy 2 packs of these suckers,
2) marinate them the same, probably a bulgogi/kalbi flavor profile
3) do one pack low-n-slow until tender
4) do the other pack as a quick sear on a hot grill.
Stay tuned, we will see which ones we like best and report back :thumb:

Stay tuned, we will see which ones we like best and report back :thumb:
h4UrotQ.gif

Yeah... & now the Dallas News has locked me out unless I pay for a subscription.
Farkers.
If it's like the Chicago Tribune, just turn off your JavaScript and you'll breeze right through. Turn it back on when you're finished with the site.

All I know is that this thread got me thinking of Korean ribs and I will be buying some to marinate this weekend...

Back