Berkshire Iberico

Norm--I have tried some of Berkwood farms stuff and it is great. Sometimes we can get an acorn fed label on a local Berkshire producer--but I can't remember if that was Berkwood or not. I have tried both ribs and butts--the normal Berkwood is a step ahead of almost any pork I've had and the acorn is a half step above that IMHO. I usually do only salt and pepper on the ribs and butts so you can appreciate the taste of real pork.

If you're debating whether it is worth the extra price, I can say that Midwest Berkshire is a superior product and that fat does provide the extra flavor you'd expect.

What's the comparative going rate on this stuff vs commodity pork? I'm sure it's worth it, just trying to establish a baseline. My brother lives in Des Moines, maybe I can send him on a mission next time he's headed my way....

What's the comparative going rate on this stuff vs commodity pork? I'm sure it's worth it, just trying to establish a baseline. My brother lives in Des Moines, maybe I can send him on a mission next time he's headed my way....

you can't really compare the 2. commodity pork is raised in a tiny pen and never sees natural sunlight. they can't walk..they sleep and **** in the same location.

Proper berkshire or any heritage breed or specialty pork won't live in confinement. Feed is only half the battle.

Berkshire hogs have smaller litters and much shorter legs.

I understand that it's completely different, that's why I said I'm sure it's worth it. Just want to know what to expect/budget.

That's awesome.

Looks like I will have my wife out picking up acorns this fall in the woods. HA

Norm, the pigs I raised couldn't wait for me to come clean their pen. Very curious and personable. Hard not to become attached to them. Good luck.

Give them a call and ask Chris, they price based what the market price is plus a premium. I will say I got some spare ribs from them and was not impressed. Not much meat on them but that was 5 years ago so not sure if they are like that now. They changed who they use for a processor a few years back so maybe it's changed. I got some bellies from them in January and they were around $3.50 if I remember right. But just call and see what it's going for now. They are north of DSM in south Ankeny, maybe have him just drive up and talk with em.

Keep in mind folks that unlike beef pork is not graded. My uncle is a USDA certified grader for a packer in DSM. I've asked him to take a look at some meat on here to see what he thinks.

It's going to be rainy here so I'll drive down and get some to show what it looks like. I sure don't want folks here to take my word for their product. I'm only a friend of the guy who started it. Shoot me your address in a PM Chris and I'll get you some to see what you think of it.

Back