Cooking Class

EverettBBQ

Full Fledged Farker
Reaction score
I am looking to try my first cooking class this spring.
There are so many to choose from.
Any feedback on your experience:blabla:
Thanks

What is your budget? Many good classes but many factors should pay apart in ones decision because price adds up fast.
Goal
Hotel room
Food
cooking type
cooker
Ect...

Well, I only compete once a year or so and I've only taken one class but I'd recommend Uncle Bub's classes in Columbia, Missouri. VERY fair price and you're taught everything - choosing the meats, injections, rubs, time and temp - the works!
Taught by a former American Royal winner, Eric "Bubba" Burkhart, he'll teach you all phases of "Hot & Fast" cooking.

Myron Mixon class is pretty fun. Ive done it once and I would do it again if I was closer. Best class Ive taken.

I've taken the following and each was well worth it!
Rod Gray - Pellet Envy
Mike Richter - Chix, Swine & Bovine
Donny Bray - Warren County Pork Choppers
Scott Smith - Quein, Stewin & Brewin/Southern Q
Tuffy Stone - Cool Smoke

Myron Mixon class to me was worth every dollar. Plus me and my buddy had a great time!

but like others have said, I think alot of your choice should come down to what type of cooking do you prefer. I think it makes alot of sense to try to learn from somebody that cooks hot and fast if that is what you do or find somebody that does lower and slower if thats your thing.

dont get me wrong, I think you will learn from any of the ones mentioned above.....but to maximize your investment do some research ahead of time.

Well, I only compete once a year or so and I've only taken one class but I'd recommend Uncle Bub's classes in Columbia, Missouri. VERY fair price and you're taught everything - choosing the meats, injections, rubs, time and temp - the works!
Taught by a former American Royal winner, Eric "Bubba" Burkhart, he'll teach you all phases of "Hot & Fast" cooking.

Dave thanks for the props. When I started putting on the cooking classes my goal was to offer and deliver the best competition class in the country. Your right I put it all on the line. If anyone is looking to participate in a class I would like your consideration. Thanks Bubba

You won't find a better value in cooking classes than Uncle Bub's class. He holds nothing back, and is available to answer any other questions after the class. Hilbilly Offense is the real deal.

Bubba's class teachings can be used no matter your cooking style. Don't let the economical price scare you. Bubba is doing it out love for bbq more then the money.

I took Myron's class in November. I thought it was pretty good. I didn't learn a TON, but came away with some good information that we will be putting to use at competitions this year. He keeps you well fed the entire weekend. Hotels are a short drive away, and the drive from Atlanta to Unadilla went pretty fast. I can't speak to whether or not it was worth the money though because it didn't cost me anything - going to the class was the award for 1st place at a contest last summer.

I just finished taking a class from Scott Smith of Quein, Stewin and Brewin and Southern Q smokers. When I was deciding which class to take I looked at several factors.

1. What smoker am I using going to use?
2. What cooking style do I want to do?
3. What do others say about the class?
4. Does the cook have a winning record in the area I want to cook in?
5. Do teams that take his classes win?

For me this class was the best fit. It was a great class and the fact that he did Hot n Fast and also had J&B's and Moyer's do Low n Slow made it a 2for1 deal to me. The key thing for me was that he and teams that he has taught do well in my area of North Georgia. I encourage you to look for that in a class. In my case I pulled up not just national rankings but the Georgia GBC rankings and compared.

The more classes you can take the better. I just wish more classes came to california. Its hard to travel to take too many classes.

The more classes you can take the better. I just wish more classes came to california. Its hard to travel to take too many classes.

I want to go out to Cslifornia at some point and take Harry Soo's class. Seems like he teaches more than just the kcbs meats, so that would be interesting.

Tuffy Stone! :thumb: All his classes are sold out except this one...

bbq-school_june_large.jpg

http://cool-smoke.myshopify.com/col...ool-smoke-masters-competition-bbq-school-june

Back