Identifying wood for smoking...

ClintHTX

is Blowin Smoke!
Reaction score
I have a post oak tree that was semi dead. I'm wondering what to look for as far as cooking with it. I've cut it and split it. Now what?

I'd let it season over winter, and cook w/ something that's fully cured.
You don't want that nasty smoke from moist wood ruin your cooks.

Make sure there is no rot or termite damage and you're pretty much good to go. Season to the point at which you prefer to use it... less seasoning more smoke cooler fire...more seasoning less smoke hotter fire.

I'm gonna be cooking on the uds. Planned on cutting some chunks and seeing how it is just didn't know if it would be good and seasoned or what to look for.

Bang a couple pieces together.....

if it 'clacks' like a baseball bat hittin' a triple, it's dry......

.......if it 'thuds' like....I don't know, you pounding a rock on wet moss or something, it's still pretty damp......

yeah for a UDS I would let it sit for at least a few months to s year to season before using, on a stickburner I use seasoned and fresh cut splits.

.......if it 'thuds' like....I don't know, you pounding a rock on wet moss or something, it's still pretty damp......

It clacks like you mentioned. Have a bag of smoking chunks of hickory. It sounds pretty similar.

I was gonna say that. Well not exactly that, I'm willing to use any wood that sounds like a double of the wall.

I let mine air dry for 1 year minimum (for the stick burner). If you are going to use it as "chunks" in your UDS, then if you chop it into chunk size pieces now it will be ready sooner.

Back