Large Brisket cook for home competition

smokinsmiles

Found some matches.
Reaction score
I have a hometown competition I am doing this weekend with some buddies and I am undecided on how long I need to allocate for my brisket. I am cooking on a WSM 22.5" and I have an untrimmed 17.2 lb brisket. I am guessing after trimming excess fat I will be left with about a 15 lb brisket. I have a new BBQ Guru so I should be able to keep a fairly constant temperature and my plan is to cook at about 235 degrees. My rule of thumb at this temp is 1.5 hrs per lb which would put me at 22 and 1/2 hours cook time. I have to turn in my brisket at 5 pm so I would like to have it done by 3 pm for a two hour resting time. This would mean I would need to put on my brisket at 4:30 pm the day before. For some reason my brisket never seems to take this long to cook so I am worried about starting it that early and having it done 7 or 8 hours before the turn in time. I usually start off with a 10-12 lb brisket but this particular brisket had a beautiful thick flat that I though would make a great presentation. Any suggestions on what kind of cook time I should expect or other suggestions on this size of a brisket? Thanks

Don't know about cook times at that temp, but in comps my brisket rests for about 6-6.5 hrs with no problem.

Yeah, better for it to be done too early than not done on time. 1.5 hours per pound seems a little on the high side. I'd say 1 - 1.25 per pound, especially if it's in the 70's outside like it probably is in Florida right now.

Burnt, if I can rest my brisket that long it would actually work out great for me because then I would have more room to cook my ribs in my WSM in that last 6 hours of the competition. When you rest your brisket that long do you use a cambro or just foil, towel and a cooler? I have never let it rest that long but I will give it a shot if you say it works.

Burnt, what temp do you cook your brisket at? Are you cooking your pork butt in the same cooker at that temp too? I assume with a name like you probably know a thing or two about burnt ends. If you are going to rest your brisket for 4-6 hours, do you separate the point right when it comes off the smoker so that you can make the burnt ends or do you do that after it has completely rested? I dont think anyone else in our competition is making burnt ends so I want to make sure mine turn out awesome

Last edited:
Butts, brisket, and ribs can all cook at the same temp and at the same time. Chicken needs higher temp. My WSM likes to run around 275-280*. Better to let it run where it likes than to force it to run lower.

I haven't mastered the timings on briskets yet, they are done when they are done, but I do know it's better to finish early and let it rest at least 2 hours. When resting, wrap in foil, wrap in old towels, and stick in a warm cooler. They can stay that way for any where up to 6 or so hours and still burn your fingers when you pull it out to slice it. Remember to also allow time for slicing.

My butts take right around 9 hours to smoke and then I let them rest until I can pull them without burning my fingers off. My ribs take just under 4 hours.

Burnt, if I can rest my brisket that long it would actually work out great for me because then I would have more room to cook my ribs in my WSM in that last 6 hours of the competition. When you rest your brisket that long do you use a cambro or just foil, towel and a cooler? I have never let it rest that long but I will give it a shot if you say it works.

I'm cooking around 250*-260* at grate temp. You'll have no problem with a cooler if that's what you have, been there before. I rest mine with two butts and it still takes a good part of an hour to have it come to slicing temp when I remove it from the cooler. This is when you'll want to separate the point to make your BE's,right as you remove it to rest for the slicing..

I can't help a lot with times, because a choice brisket will take 2-2.5 hrs more cooking than a Wagyu or Prime.:biggrin1:

If your cooler is large, stuff wadded up newspapers in it to take up dead spaces.

I do wrap my briskets during the cooking process, to get a more consistent cook time.

Last edited:
Butts, brisket, and ribs can all cook at the same temp and at the same time. Chicken needs higher temp..........

Just depends on how you cook your chicken. It's my most consistent category and I never get my smoker over 260*...just sayin'.:icon_smile_tongue:

Hot and fast - 6 hours or so of cook time at 300-325 and then a 2 hour rest.

Hot and fast - 6 hours or so of cook time at 300-325 and then a 2 hour rest.

This without a doubt! Try it once and you will never cook one at 225 - 250 again. Good luck with your comp!

Blessings,

Omar

Butts, brisket, and ribs can all cook at the same temp and at the same time. Chicken needs higher temp. My WSM likes to run around 275-280*. Better to let it run where it likes than to force it to run lower.

I haven't mastered the timings on briskets yet, they are done when they are done, but I do know it's better to finish early and let it rest at least 2 hours. When resting, wrap in foil, wrap in old towels, and stick in a warm cooler. They can stay that way for any where up to 6 or so hours and still burn your fingers when you pull it out to slice it. Remember to also allow time for slicing.

My butts take right around 9 hours to smoke and then I let them rest until I can pull them without burning my fingers off. My ribs take just under 4 hours.

What size briskets are you cooking that take 9 hours at 275? My WSM holds 235 pretty easily.

Well I think my mind is made up by your comments. I think I am going to cook at a bit higher temp of 250-260. How much cook time per pound should I factor for a 15 lb choice brisket, 8.5 lb butt and spare ribs?

What size briskets are you cooking that take 9 hours at 275? My WSM holds 235 pretty easily.

Sorry I missed your question. If you go back to my post, I said BUTTS take 9 hours at 275 on my WSM. The briskets I have done weigh more and take longer than butts.

I've cooked some prime briskets that were just over 18#s on my 22" wsm. I do a heavy trim and have even separated the point and flat before cooking (the flat took over half a 22" Weber rack by itself). I run about 260-275 grate and foil when the color is where I want it. Have finished a 18# brisket in under seven hours this way.

Back