Rules for The Royal???

Atlasman

Full Fledged Farker
Reaction score
Where are they posted??

Just trying to find out if everything is 9x9 boxes or if anything is open tray?

Garnish??

Cooking sources??

Cooks packet type stuff........KCBS is standard but I haven't found anything on the additional categories.

Thanks guys!!!

I can't find anything on other categories either. Dessert doesn't have to be in clamshell and doesn't have to be prepared onsite but I don't think it can be purchased commercially already done.I think everything else must be at least cooked onsite. Beyond that I have no other information.

I do believe you will get 9x9 boxes for the side categories. Dessert does not have to be in one. Anything should go in the boxes since beans and some other sides need to be in some type of a bowl. They will go over this in the cooks meeting. But by then it might be to late for most.

Desert does not have to be in a container and very few are. Most require two people to carry them. Other catagories will be in 9x9 box. Anything goes for these as long as it fits in the box. Keith

You also can only use up to 7 or 7.5% meat or fish in the side dish.

• Thanks
Reactions: SOB
This seems crazy that one of the biggest contests in the country has no rules or cooks packet posted.

For the beans, potato and vegetable categories you can only 7 or 7.5% of it can use meat or fish.

I do believe you will get 9x9 boxes for the side categories. Dessert does not have to be in one. Anything should go in the boxes since beans and some other sides need to be in some type of a bowl. They will go over this in the cooks meeting. But by then it might be to late for most.

Beans and some other sides need to be in bowls?? You mean inside the 9x9??

I'm confused.

I'm assuming many guys here have been to The Royal before. Could someone just lay out in a few quick sentences the turn in rules?

I can't believe this information is not posted on The Royal website.

I'm assuming many guys here have been to The Royal before. Could someone just lay out in a few quick sentences the turn in rules?

I can't believe this information is not posted on The Royal website.

They did already. It doesn't have to be in bowls, but if it is they have to fit in the clam shell. They obviously can't exactly measure 7% so don't load your dishes up with meat. Don't overthink it.

For the beans, potato and vegetable categories you can only 7 or 7.5% of it can use meat or fish.

Having judged several Royals, this is news to me.
You think they might have mentioned this to the people actually judging those entries....
Ed

I saw Diva Q's entry of bacon wrapped peppers on her tv show and wondered how she was able to get by with that. It also doesn't say by weight or volume.

The side dish categories are baked beans, potatoes and vegetables and must be prepared on site. No side dish will contain more than 7.5% meat or fish products. The combined total of scores from each category will determine the overall champion. All safe handling of food and sanitation regulations required by KCBS apply to the Side Dish Contest. Refer to rule #15 of the KCBS Rules and Regulations, www.kcbs.us. Each team may have only one entry per category. Six judges will judge your entry. You may turn in either six (6) separate portions or one large portion with enough for six judges. Your entry must fit into the Styrofoam container provided with the lid closed. The label with your team number must be on the top of the container. All entries must be prepared on site and within your team’s assigned space. You may use any heat source to cook your entry at any time after your team has checked in. KCBS garnish requirements do not apply to this contest. Garnish is optional; however, the lid must close on your container. Do not do anything to your entry that identifies that it came from your team. The scores for the Side Dish Contest will not be included in your regular American Royal Barbecue Contest scores. This is a separate competition.

This is last years rules but should still be the same.

The side dish categories are baked beans, potatoes and vegetables and must be prepared on site. No side dish will contain more than 7.5% meat or fish products. The combined total of scores from each category will determine the overall champion. All safe handling of food and sanitation regulations required by KCBS apply to the Side Dish Contest. Refer to rule #15 of the KCBS Rules and Regulations, www.kcbs.us. Each team may have only one entry per category. Six judges will judge your entry. You may turn in either six (6) separate portions or one large portion with enough for six judges. Your entry must fit into the Styrofoam container provided with the lid closed. The label with your team number must be on the top of the container. All entries must be prepared on site and within your team’s assigned space. You may use any heat source to cook your entry at any time after your team has checked in. KCBS garnish requirements do not apply to this contest. Garnish is optional; however, the lid must close on your container. Do not do anything to your entry that identifies that it came from your team. The scores for the Side Dish Contest will not be included in your regular American Royal Barbecue Contest scores. This is a separate competition.

This is last years rules but should still be the same.

Thank You!!!

Back