Rib Marrow Dripping?

MikeyBfromTN

Knows what a fatty is.
Reaction score
When we compete, I use a Humphrey's, Down East Beast to cook my ribs and brisket. Probably will move the butts to it, too.

Anyway, I usually cook 4 racks of St Louis, 2 racks per shelf. I've noticed that the ribs drip a gray liquid onto the the lower racks. I assume it's just marrow and I'm not too worried about the taste, but appearance. :mad:

But, it makes the appearance of my lower ribs and even my brisket have gray spots on it. I can kinda blot them off, but I'm messing with the great bark/color of the meat(s).

My question is, have you encountered this and what have you done about it? I assume it's the same issue, for all vertical smokers, so its not a Humphrey's issue. Backwoods guys?

My first thought would be to lay foil between the shelves, maybe on an empty shelf, inserted in between. But, I'm concerned it might affect the heat distribution. And I don't want to be moving cooking racks around. I could lay it just under the ribs, but that seems like it might be a pain. Plus it'll use more space and racks.

Thanks!

When I get "boogers" on my ribs, its usually from too much rub. I just pick them off and flick them somewhere

When I get "boogers" on my ribs, its usually from too much rub. I just pick them off and flick them somewhere

Not sure what you have in your "muskie" rub, but nothing in mine is gray. :thumb: LOL!!

It's definitely from the bones, as I can see it coming out of them. I'm juice, so I've used a paper towel, but if I don't catch it, it dries out and becomes a stain. Saucing over it helps, but I wonder about it, as it happens.

pluses and minus to everything, but some people cook in pans for this reason: no dripping below onto other meats and easy to pull on/off the smoker. some people say cooking in pans does not give as much smoker flavor.

pluses and minus to everything, but some people cook in pans for this reason: no dripping below onto other meats and easy to pull on/off the smoker. some people say cooking in pans does not give as much smoker flavor.

That is my concern with foil. Hmm... Maybe some metal sheets, I can slide in that are only solid where the ribs are above. Maybe this would allow adequate heat distribution and still catch the nasty??

Thanks...

Ive had it happen several time but once I get ready to wrap I just flick off the drippin from the racks and throw em in the foil and youd never know it was there

I've had that too. Not boogers on the lower but full on black lines from the dripping. I did nothing but rotate the racks midway through before I wrapped and ended up never knowing they were there

I have the same issue (cook on a Humphrey's also, but it would happen with any cooker with vertical racks). To solve this cook on sheet pans with cooling racks laid in them to keep the racks from dripping on each other.

10297679_10203573769881813_6952929634979866203_n_zps55b7d36c.jpg

I have the same issue (cook on a Humphrey's also, but it would happen with any cooker with vertical racks). To solve this cook on sheet pans with cooling racks laid in them to keep the racks from dripping on each other.

10297679_10203573769881813_6952929634979866203_n_zps55b7d36c.jpg

I too wondered about temp issues when using pans on each rack. Have you encountered that at all

In my Backwoods Fatboy I had the problem of brisket over ribs dripping. To solve it I put an empty foil pan under the brisket and the ribs below that. This did not seem to affect temps at all.

I too wondered about temp issues when using pans on each rack. Have you encountered that at all

No, works the same for me as long as you leave room for airflow

I have the same thing happen on my Backwoods, I don't think it's specific to the Humphrey's. I have tried to remove the spots..sometimes I can but sometimes I make it worse by trying. I have ended up just leaving them, as they seem to disappear during the wrapping phase along with any other problems related to dripping, misting, etc.

I have the same thing happen on my Backwoods, I don't think it's specific to the .

Don't get me wrong, I totally agree with that. I just think we happen to have humphreys and discussing this.

Don't get me wrong, I totally agree with that. I just think we happen to have humphreys and discussing this.

It would happen in any style smoker where you have racks above each other, even a WSM..not really a Humphrey's specific topic. And the poster also inquired to the Backwoods folks as well in his original post.....

:thumb:

I start my ribs in a Backwoods Chubby and put an empty rack between the racks holding the ribs. Then i put a small sheet of foil on the rack directly under each rack of ribs. wal-la, no drips on the lower ribs.:clap2:

It would happen in any style smoker where you have racks above each other, even a WSM..not really a Humphrey's specific topic. And the poster also inquired to the Backwoods folks as well in his original post.....

:thumb:

Yep, I was asking for anyone using a vertical, but wanted people to know what I was cooking on. I assumed Backwoods and the WSM guys (any vertical) could encounter this issue.

Great replies and thanks guys! Glad to hear foiling the racks won't effect the heat distribution. :thumb:

Back