Did Fatty Brisket ruin Roasted Bone Marrow for me?

Czarbecue

Babbling Farker
Name or Nickame
Viet King Cong
I heard it all while growing up and in college. This was before Kobe beef and Wagyu was accessible in the stores. "Roasted bone marrow is the bee's knees." But I recently tried it... grilled and smoked with garlic toast. It was blah. I've been eating fatty brisket for awhile but was bone marrow ever that good to begin with? Not as decadent as I thought it would be.

In my experience, it's not something that I would seek out. For me, it's used exclusively for making beef stock. Roasted along with mirepoix and some stew beef then simmered all day. If any marrow remains in the bones when done it's a treat for the chef.

In my experience, it's not something that I would seek out. For me, it's used exclusively for making beef stock. Roasted along with mirepoix and some stew beef then simmered all day. If any marrow remains in the bones when done it's a treat for the chef.

This.

Have you had it at a good restaurant? If you don't like it there, than you just don't like it. It is NOT the same or similar to fatty brisket.
First, you need good marrow bones split lengthwise by a good butcher. It is typically roasted at high heat, 400, for just long enough for the edges of the split bones to brown and the marrow is hot, but not liquified-it is instead still jelled. It is classically served with a sauce made from olive oil, vinegar, lemon juice, parsley and capers and then the most important thing to do is to spread the marrow on a good toasted crusty bread with the sauce spooned on top. Don't forget to sprinkle salt on top.
So to the point, roast bone marrow is a subtle but fantastic and flavorful dish in the setting of indoor dining, but not for everybody. It is not going to stand up to smoke and a BBQ setting. I suspect smoking it is the reason it was underwhelming.

Back