A taste of home

MountainMan

Full Fledged Farker
A while ago I asked about Iowa skinnies and SmokerKing said “Don’t forget Maid-Rite sandwiches and pan fried morel mushrooms!”

Well that just stopped me in my tracks………

Damn what have I’ve been missing from home lately I asked self???

Well what about my old home favorites?
Growing up in Lincoln Nebraska , I often get the munchies for “Tastee sandwiches, Runzas, and Roulepoulse” (and I have to make them often as they are not available here), and that’s to say nothing about a slice of Prime rib from Milton’s Misteys.

So what about you?

Are you missing anything from home?

Yeah, I do
Raw herring, smoked eel, drop, kecap manis (sweet soy), satays and Indonesian food in general, bitterballen, kroketten, paprika chips, borrelnootjes, Belgian beers, pate, raw ham, zuurkool (sauerkraut), boerenkool......
I suppose you gotta be Dutch to understand.

There is a lot more, but I actually just learned to make a lot of the things or found substitutes

Yeah, I do
Raw herring, smoked eel, drop, kecap manis (sweet soy), satays and Indonesian food in general, bitterballen, kroketten, paprika chips, borrelnootjes, Belgian beers, pate, raw ham, zuurkool (sauerkraut), boerenkool......
I suppose you gotta be Dutch to understand.

There is a lot more, but I actually just learned to make a lot of the things or found substitutes

I just had an Urge for Dutch Donuts.bitterballen.
My wife makes awesome ones.
As for the Indonesian food, I'm going to Bali for a Month in October.
Food Trip in the Hills:whoo:

I miss the Pot in our Chimney always having a Stew of whatever in it.
Hungry kid loved it

Dang, I haven't made Runzas in ages. Never had them anywhere just saw recipies and jumped in.
Ed

MountainMan, if they only made Valantino's pizza like back in the late 60's & 70's... I think it was the original dough recipe and the old ovens that did it.

Being from Plum-Nearly, I miss fresh oysters we harvested in the tidal creeks, smoked mullet we caught seining and smoked in an old refrigerator, blue crab we caught using old chicken necks for bait and wild hog we cooked low and slow over red oak. BTW Plum-Nearly is the country coastal area in the tip of northeast Florida, we were plum out of Georgia and nearly outa Florida.

Being from Plum-Nearly, I miss fresh oysters we harvested in the tidal creeks, smoked mullet we caught seining and smoked in an old refrigerator, blue crab we caught using old chicken necks for bait and wild hog we cooked low and slow over red oak. BTW Plum-Nearly is the country coastal area in the tip of northeast Florida, we were plum out of Georgia and nearly outa Florida.

Sounds like my childhood here....load up 8-10 crab traps on my bike, go to the local butcher for chicken necks and down to the new yacht club pier that wasn't open yet. 3 dozen blue claw crabs later go home and Momma put them in a pot on the stove a dozen at a time. :-D

Daddy had an old fridge in the garage for smoking speckled trout. And mullet too. Brick pit in the back yard with cut up pecan logs and chicken or a court boullion with black Fisk on picnic tables in the back yard under the clothes lines strung between the pecan trees. Heaven.

Places to eat:
pagliai's pizza
17th street bbq
monical's pizza
the greasy diner that served perfect low quality hamburgers on fluffy white buns with american cheese in white paper wrappers

general foods:
toasted ravioli
a slinger

Back