Key West

Smokey Lonesome

is one Smokin' Farker
Reaction score
While I was in Key West last week I came across Charlie Macs on Southard Street. Unfortunately I wasn't able to sample the Q but the smell of smoke from their Ole Hickory pit at 6 am was all over the neighborhood. Their pit master/consultant is Beau Hammond who evidently hails from South Carolina and is the founder of Henry’s Smokehouse in Greenville.

May be worth stopping by to sample the Q if you are in the Keys or are planning to be.

http://www.charliemacs404.com

Thanks Bill!
I was in Key West last fall, but didn't have the opportunity to hit any Q-joint.
Hopefully I will return in the not too distant future and I will definitely try this establishment.

I was at Charlie Mac's a few weeks ago, it was a very pleasant surprise. Good food and service. Our party sampled brisket, pulled pork and beans - I also had deep fried mac and cheese balls - stuffed with japaleno and pulled pork, breaded and fried. After we stuffed ourselves we wandered next door to the Green Parrot and spend the afternoon listening to a local jazz band. It was a good day!

I can't help it but when I'm visiting near any coastal area I'm seeking out seafood not BBQ.

I was at Charlie Mac's a few weeks ago, it was a very pleasant surprise. Good food and service. Our party sampled brisket, pulled pork and beans - I also had deep fried mac and cheese balls - stuffed with japaleno and pulled pork, breaded and fried. After we stuffed ourselves we wandered next door to the Green Parrot and spend the afternoon listening to a local jazz band. It was a good day!

Gotta love Key West. It's got something for everyone and I do mean everyone, no matter what you're into. Live and let live. Just another day in paradise.

Any recommendations on places to stay?

Depends on the atmosphere you want and your budget (like any where I guess!) There are chain hotels of course and resorts like the Waldorf Casa Marina. Old town is where most of the action is. There are also nice hidden gems you might look into like The Marquesa, Simonton Court, The Gardens, etc.

Food, drink, and music? Every nook and cranny. The place is loaded!

I can't help it but when I'm visiting near any coastal area I'm seeking out seafood not BBQ.

I hear you. Grouper, mahi, yellow tail, mutton snapper, conch, and even a dynamite lobster roll sandwich at DJ's clam shack. The smell of BBQ certainly was a surprise for 'shore'.

Any recommendations on places to stay?

we rented a cottage at Courtney's Place, about 2 blocks off Duval St. They have a website - courtneysplacekeywest (dot) com I've been there twice and can't wait to go back again. nice locally owned place - not fancy but definitely clean and comfortable.

I hear you guys on the seafood - We'd been eating fresh seafood for 4 days straight and when I smelled the smoke from Charlie Mac's my inner carnivore kicked in.

Back