Sassafras for Smoking

Spicy-Meat

Knows what a fatty is.
Reaction score
I'm running low on my hickory and my friend has some Sassafras wood. Has anyone ever tried this Type of wood for smoking?

I have several trees in my yard that I trim from time to time. It burns hot and although it is a sweet scented smoke, if it is not fully seasoned, it can be a heavy and overpowering smoke.

I personally prefer to mix it with some oak.

[FONT=&quot]"ELM[/FONT][FONT=&quot] and EUCALYPTUS wood is unsuitable for smoking, as is the wood from SASSAFRAS, SYCAMORE and LIQUID AMBER trees."[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]
[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Saw this in Bandera 101 document...no personal experience with it.
[/FONT]

I used a chunk on some chicken a few weeks ago. It was sweet, a bit stronger than other fruity woods but it was well received. I liked it and will use it again.

EDIT: OK was too tired last night, I used sarsaparilla, not sassafrass... totally different.

Last edited:
Hi bwran1 - coming from the land of Eucies and gum trees can you flick me such info resources regarding these are not good for smoking.
I find the redgum is great for cutting through any sweetness of the foods that may be presauced or indeed adding an almost "menthol" flavour to lambs or goats slow roasted

Cheers

Last edited:
Back