New Orleans Style Barbecue Shrimp

Absolutely. Think of Cajun BBQ Shrimp as Chili. Lots of variations, everyone has a similarly different “perfect” recipe. We use stock-butter and a regular beer such as Budweiser or Coors. I’ve tried it with darker specialty beer and it mutes the butter lemon malt shrimp taste imho. Some use a white wine, some none of the above. Some use a tablespoon of tomato paste for color- we don’t, usually. We usually cook it when Vidalia Onions are available. The only thing I recommend is cooking with shells on. If you peel shrimp first cook the shells with the peeled shrimp. Two reasons-there’s a ton of flavor from the shells. Eating pace- peeled shrimp disappear to quickly savor the act of peeling-wrapping in your favorite bread and dipping. A nice Greek salad with an anchovie on top seals it. We use bigger shrimp
Bottom line. Yes

thanks Adams btw I got a copy of the International Chili Society Cookbook cant wait to try it out!

Looks stunning and thanks for the recipe.
Wife's birthday Monday and she loves prawns or shrimp or whatever you call them.
I hope it's as good looking as yours

The Pacific Rim region has some awesome 'shrimp' dishes but, Southern Louisianna can give the region a real run for the money! :wink:

That Cajun/French influence and natures bounty is a thing of beauty!

Wow that's killer, thanks for the recipe.

Can somebody explain the difference between the 2 red peppers in the recipe?

1 tsp black pepper
1 tsp red pepper
1 tsp crushed red pepper

Crushed red pepper is what you get at a Pizza place in the shaker, or in the take-away places with the little foil packets. As the name suggests, crushed dry red pepper flakes typically come with the seeds and a medium heat; probably ripe red Jalapenos in most parts of the world but any similar 'medium heat' red pepper will work with Hatch chillis being a favorite of many people.

Ristra which is the whole pepper form, for me at least!

"Red pepper" is as the name suggests a finely ground pepper. Usually, this will be Cayenne or some other relatively hot pepper. The actual type depends on if you want the 'heat' on the front of your tongue or the back of your throat and just how much heat you want it to have. 'High heat' Cayenne is pretty standard where I come from but, some store-bought Cayenne can be a bit mild with added ingredients so, I typically look for one without fillers beyond a small amount of anti-caking agent.

Personally, I'd consider dropping the 'red pepper' and adding RIPE Scotch Bonnets or Habeneros to the mix. The fruitiness of the ripe ones really adds some nice flavor to the heat though, it will get really scorching hot if you over do it. Be careful with these as they will really burn you good long after you handle them so, avoid prescription contacts, the bathroom, sneezing, etc... :evil:

A bit of Carribean influence in dishes like this can be really nice! :thumb:

I have seen that dish cooked on some of the tv cooking shows and yours would easily match up to any of those. Nice work!!

Erik.
My Wife loved your Recipe.
I did change it a bit to suit .
Great recipe mate, Thank you
birthday girl got all Greasy

That looks awesome Titch!!! Glad you and your wife enjoyed it!

I’ve been feeling a little under the weather myself (fake cough X 2). Please send the medicine over. :)

I making that soon.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Back