Weber Smokey Mountain 22.5" Cover Frustration

Unfathomable Bastid

Full Fledged Farker
Reaction score
Hey Brethren,

WSM 22.5" folks out there. Do any of you have the same frustration I have with respect to the grill cover being too tight? For us northern climates, the cold weather shrinks and frankly -- it was difficult to use even on warm days. You should see me fighting with this thing after every cook. It's obnoxious. :mmph:

Do any of you use a third party cover you like -- preferably one that fits the WSM much more comfortably?

Last edited:
Although I no longer have a WSM, I have owned three. I used to contemplate buying a drawstring military duffle bag or a heavy duty draw string laundry bag. Covers I had were either to tight or blow off.

Good luck

Surprisingly, my cover slides on relatively easily, and stays in place well... even with our Kansas winds. I typically struggle with covers, but I have been happy with the Weber cover. We don't get the winters yall get in Michigan... but even in our colder months I haven't had issues.

sometimes I feel covers do more harm then good, holding moisture in.

my Weber grill has been left uncovered for 10 years and looks great

Hey Brethren,

WSM 22.5" folks out there. Do any of you have the same frustration I have with respect to the grill cover being too tight? For us northern climates, the cold weather shrinks and frankly -- it was difficult to use even on warm days. You should see me fighting with this thing after every cook. It's obnoxious. :mmph:

Do any of you use a third party cover you like -- preferably one that fits the WSM much more comfortably?

I swear at my 18" WSM cover all the time.

They redesigned the WSM cover a few years back and I picked up one for my 22.5. It's a little bit more loose than the old one and it's a thinner material. I find it doesn't get as stiff in the cold weather and it breathes better letting any moisture that got in, out. You might give it a shot depending on if you have the older cover or not.

They redesigned the WSM cover a few years back and I picked up one for my 22.5. It's a little bit more loose than the old one and it's a thinner material. I find it doesn't get as stiff in the cold weather and it breathes better letting any moisture that got in, out. You might give it a shot depending on if you have the older cover or not.

That's interesting, Dustin. I didn't realize they redesigned it. I'll give it a shot.

Thank you!

That's interesting, Dustin. I didn't realize they redesigned it. I'll give it a shot.

Thank you!
My old cover literally shattered in the cold Texas winter. The new style is a softer material and should not shrink or harden.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Mine even got the hinge on lid , sticks out 2 inches ....lil tight getting on , but all good

I just bought a new WSM last month and the Weber comes on and off very easily.

My old cover literally shattered in the cold Texas winter. The new style is a softer material and should not shrink or harden.

Interesting. I think my cover is the original one. 10 years outside in New England weather. It’s a battle every time.

I found that my weber 26 cover is very very tight and stiff as a board this time of year.
As smoke ninja said, it also holds in moisture, so I am using it over my UDS now, which fills with water if not covered appropriately.

Cheers neighbor

I try to use mine enough that it does not need a cover.Sometimes that does not work out.When water starts seeping out of the bottom vents,I dump it in the flower bed and start over.

Back