Heat Resistent Silicone Ring

macmaster35

MemberGot rid of the matchlight.
Name or Nickame
macmaster35
Hello all and thanks for the help ahead of time.

I am currently building an outdoor kitchen. We are using a porcelain tile as the countertop and building in my Char-Griller Akorn Kamado. We cut the tile to leave a 1 1/2 inch opening around the grill and was looking for a recommendation for a silicone stripping to use around the opening. I was hoping this would help insulate the tile from the heat, as well as hide the jagged/ugly edges.

Any suggestions?

Hopefully you went with a generic measurement so that other kamado cookers from other brands could fit the opening. If you have a full 1-1/2" gap, the tile should not get too hot. Did you happen to use Hardibacker cement board, that might offer some additional protection.

I don't know how thick your backer is, but could you install gasket material around the exposed edge? It comes in many different widths.

This table has a metal lining around the hole. You should be able to source this in stainless or copper from any sheet metal shop that builds hoods and such for commercial kitchens.
tableduckegg.jpg

They also make metal edge trim that can be formed into a circle.
FTT8_FTT12.png

Thanks for the suggestions. I used 1/2 thick durock board to support the tile. My cooker is 22" external diameter, so we made the hole 24" to be safe. I figured if i ever needed to replace the cooker, it would leave me room to purchase another one of similar size.

The ring/gasket is to just provide a little extra, but mainly to cover the not so nice jagged edges of the tile.

Back