Smithfield Spares Still Safe??

Stlsportster

Babbling Farker
Reaction score
I know the answer but need to ask anyway just out of caution.

Bought a rack of the Smithfield Extra Tender about 10 days ago. Been in the fridge at 33 and haven't had a chance to get to them. Use or freeze by 4-20. Cryovaced and in a cold fridge...still good for a few more days?

A70F1034-E902-425C-BEAD-D00E773C8DAD_zpsqxbmpgsd.jpg

D2ED41EE-8DA8-4589-8487-921277532F1F_zpsmwhvrh4r.jpg

I'd cook em, assuming they don't smell terrible when you open them up. Keep in mind the cryovac can cause a slight odor but should wash off when you rinse the ribs.

I'd cook em, assuming they don't smell terrible when you open them up. Keep in mind the cryovac can cause a slight odor but should wash off when you rinse the ribs.
I totally agree. I was a meat cutter years ago, and the date is pretty much a "sell by" date. When you open them up, stick your nose in the bag, and if they happen to be bad, you will know right away. I use so many products at home that I bought and forgot about, and by the time I discover them, the date has passed, but I haven't suffered any ill-effects. Wait, what was I writing about???

the smell test, eye test and taste test has kept the human race going for many of years , way before we were putting a date on things

All I can say is, after cooking a brisket that I had in cryovac in a cold fridge for more than a year, that smelled, felt, and looked great when opened, did not do me in, or cause any problems, but it was not the most tasty brisket I have ever cooked. I am guessing your ribs will be just fine.
Dave

All I can say is, after cooking a brisket that I had in cryovac in a cold fridge for more than a year, that smelled, felt, and looked great when opened, did not do me in, or cause any problems, but it was not the most tasty brisket I have ever cooked. I am guessing your ribs will be just fine.
Dave

Mo-Dave!!!!! You made it out alive! Its the ten day mark, and I was starting to wonder. :wink: :mrgreen:

When you open them there will be no mistake if they are dumpster material. The smell is strong

The nose knows, as they say.

I'm super paranoid about cleanliness and freshness, so my motto in situations like this is sniff once and if even the slightest doubt rises, then out it goes. Meat costs a lot less than a doctor.

Dave

More than a year??? :shocked:

And I've been amazed by the 5 month use-by date they stamp on Aussie import meat here..

Yep, finally smoked them yesterday. Turned out great and I'm still alive today.

Thanks for all the reassurance they'd be fine...and they were...of course.

Wonder how much meat gets thrown out that's past date and totally fine??

Wonder how much meat gets thrown out that's past date and totally fine??

You can cross that line when it is for personal use. Restaurants and caterers can't take that chance. That being said, there have been a few times I have opened a cryovac bag that hadn't past the date yet and it smelled bad enough for me to throw out. The date for me is only a recommendation for what to do. Just my .02

Back