Post oak

Trunks

Take a breath!
Reaction score
What's up everyone

Just wanted to get ur thoughts on using post oak for brisket and experiences.

Hear alot about it so just wondering

Thanks

It's all I use but I have all I can cut for free mixed with a little mesquite it;s brisket nirvana.

As much as I like it (it is my preferred wood), finding it in North Texas is a pain in the a$$. Most places just want to sell oak (mixed red and white or at best all white which will include post). I normally mix pecan (easy to source) with various oaks and mesquite.

I think everyone in Texas uses it...lol

Haven't tried it yet, but maybe that cause I don't have a stick burner. For my WSM, I use KBB and have chunks of cherry, apple, pecan, hickory, and mesquite.

As much as I like it (it is my preferred wood), finding it in North Texas is a pain in the a$$. Most places just want to sell oak (mixed red and white or at best all white which will include post). I normally mix pecan (easy to source) with various oaks and mesquite.

Agreed. I gave up on it, especially for wood chunks.

I resorted to hickory for all my cooks.

There is NO better wood for true, Texas BBQ
Definitely right about that, at least for central Texas style.:thumb:

Haven't tried it yet, but maybe that cause I don't have a stick burner. For my WSM, I use KBB and have chunks of cherry, apple, pecan, hickory, and mesquite.
Cherry? Apple? Man you've been making YANKEE Q!:shocked::p

Heh! I guess so. I tend to like the color the fruit woods create, especially on pork. I also tend to be on the lesser smoke taste side. Had a roommate that killed my smoke taste. He'd over smoke everything. Chicken, beef, pork. They all tasted the same. Just smoke.

:yuck:

Heh! I guess so. I tend to like the color the fruit woods create, especially on pork. I also tend to be on the lesser smoke taste side. Had a roommate that killed my smoke taste. He'd over smoke everything. Chicken, beef, pork. They all tasted the same. Just smoke.

:yuck:
Yeah, a smoker in the wrong hands is worse than a loaded gun sometimes. LOL! I actually like apple a lot, especially for cold smoking cheese and fish.:wink:

I've never used it but I just ordered some chunks from Fruita wood to try on my next brisket and it smells amazing just sitting in the box as does the cherry and apple I ordered with it.

Definitely right about that, at least for central Texas style.:thumb:

I'm from TN and we mainly used hickory down there. That said, I don't know a single backyard smoker from TN that wouldn't mix 1/3 of any wood in if the price was right. I've known people to use any fruit/nut wood that fell on their property with no apologies :mrgreen:

One year we had a persimmon tree and 2 concord grape vines die due to too much rain. The peach tree had to be severely pruned that year as well. That led to the world's only known hickory/peach/persimmon/grapevine smoked whole pork shoulder the following November. As I recall it was slightly mild but still really tasty.

I'm from TN and we mainly used hickory down there. That said, I don't know a single backyard smoker from TN that wouldn't mix 1/3 of any wood in if the price was right. I've known people to use any fruit/nut wood that fell on their property with no apologies :mrgreen:

One year we had a persimmon tree and 2 concord grape vines die due to too much rain. The peach tree had to be severely pruned that year as well. That led to the world's only known hickory/peach/persimmon/grapevine smoked whole pork shoulder the following November. As I recall it was slightly mild but still really tasty.
Yeah, I like to layer different flavors on certain meats using different woods throughout the cook. On pork butt for instance I really like to alternate between pecan and peach. I have oak, peach, apricot, pear, fig and pecan trees as well as grapes all growing in my back yard and they each have a very distinctive flavor.
I like to use the pear on cheese and all the woods are great on pork and poultry! On beef I pretty much stick with oak, pecan or mesquite.:-D

Simply the best in my opinion. We have several pallets sent up every year as there are not really any good cooking woods growing in Alaska.

Good luck finding some on Long Island (used to live there). You can get oak, but haven't seen post oak there.

I've ordered post oak wood chunks from fruitawoods.com. THey have small splits too.

I'll just order it online, planning on trying it next weekend if it's here by then. I'll post pic and all that

Back