Brisket Drippings

I have - very tasty. I put it in one of those gravy pourers that seperates the oil from the juices.

I think it would be good added to sauce for chopped beef too.

How do you go about collecting drippings without them soaking up too much smoke? I know if you pan with foil at the 165ish mark you can get some good drippings but what if you didn't want to wrap or other meats that you would never wrap anyway.

I have a WSM and have been wondering about this. I wonder if you put the food on the top rack and a pan on the lower rack but covered in foil with a hole in the middle and the foil kinda funneled towards the middle. I wonder if that would be enough to get the drippings in the pan but keep most of the smoke out. Anyone try it or something similar?

I never worried about too much smoke. A bigger issue for me is the drippings boiling of and drying out in the drip pan [higher heat cooks]. I solve this by just putting some water in the drip pan.
If the water dilutes the flavor of the drippings too much, it is easy to put drippings in pot on stove to reduce.

I was actually going to try a combination of both techniques on my next smoke. Add a foil pan with a little water in it to the lower rack of the WSM, cover the with a layer of foil, make the foil concave (bowl) a little like a funnel and then poke a small hole in the center to drain.

This wasn't so much to keep the smoke out, but to keep the little water I add from evaporating. I think adding carrots, onion, celery to the foil pan would also help keep the moisture, as it would absorb a lot of the heat.

This is all speculation though. :p

Back