What happens when you miss (or skip) a turn-in?

71-South

is Blowin Smoke!
Reaction score
When you miss (or skip) a turn-in, do you get a sheet for that category with all zeros for your scores, or do you just not get a sheet for that category?

Thanks,
Bret

I don't think that's right but I am not sure. I also think that if its a 25 person contest and you Skip a meat the contest is now a 24 team contest because 25 entries were not recieved in all 4 meats.

I don't think that's right but I am not sure. I also think that if its a 25 person contest and you Skip a meat the contest is now a 24 team contest because 25 entries were not recieved in all 4 meats.

If I remember correctly, that's why you get the 1 score instead of a 0.
It shows the team as a place holder.
Ed

At my last contest, in Whiting Iowa this past weekend. There were only 25 teams and a real struggle for that. During the cooks meeting the reps said be sure and make all turn ins, even if funnel cake instead of brisket, otherwise if a turn in is missed it would no longer be considered a 25 team contest. But as long as all turn ins were made even if DQed it would be a qualifier. Ed that was Ron that said that.

At my last contest, in Whiting Iowa this past weekend. There were only 25 teams and a real struggle for that. During the cooks meeting the reps said be sure and make all turn ins, even if funnel cake instead of brisket, otherwise if a turn in is missed it would no longer be considered a 25 team contest. But as long as all turn ins were made even if DQed it would be a qualifier. Ed that was Ron that said that.

I totally disagree with reps doing this. They think they are being helpful but they are really screwing teams over.

Someone dumps raw/burnt chicken in a box for brisket and turns it in. Guess what...that brisket table probably just became the table of death.

Here have this brisket and score it fairly, I know we just waved a piece of raw chicken in front of you, sure that wont influence your score.

By the rules, a no entry is not scored. You will not appear on the category score sheet and your overall will be a the total of the categories you entered.

By the rules, a late entry is not a DQ (1's), it is a no entry that should get no score. In practice, I have seen reps treat a late as a DQ and even have teams turn in something late so that they can be DQ'd instead of a no entry. I think that the DQ'd team still counts as a team for Jack/Royal qualifying where a no entry would not.

I totally disagree with reps doing this. They think they are being helpful but they are really screwing teams over.

Someone dumps raw/burnt chicken in a box for brisket and turns it in. Guess what...that brisket table probably just became the table of death.

Here have this brisket and score it fairly, I know we just waved a piece of raw chicken in front of you, sure that wont influence your score.

I think my brisket would stand on its own against raw chicken. On the other hand, I wouldn't want to go up against a funnel cake.

I think my brisket would stand on its own against raw chicken. On the other hand, I wouldn't want to go up against a funnel cake.

Not really the point. The point is that do you think that your brisket would get the score it deserves or would the scoring be impacted by the previous box?

People do dumb stuff when they dont care and are just turning in a box for the sake of getting 25 people on the score sheet.

See your point and no disagreement from me. However playing devils advocate, what if you were a team that did everything right even gave meat to a team to make sure it was a 25 team qualifier and a first time team, or experienced but for this scenario a new team totally messes up or drops or whatever to their brisket so they turn in raw chicken. It is turned in, is DQed and is probably the TOD but at least turned in? The GC or RGC shouldnt be punished. Sadly I think this is why some contests struggle because people wont enter unless they already know it is a qualifier.

I wasnt even close but to phrase it different, if this would have been my first GC(team that won has won several) but if it was my first, I wouldnt care what someone turned in. All I can control is my turn ins and while yes there is truly a TOD, I dont think hardly anyone would care about a funky turn in as long as contest is a qualifier.

From the 2015 KCBS Rules:

“If a team does not turn in a product or is disqualified and not allowed to turn in or is late for turn in, that team’s category is not accepted and not judged and receives no score.”

The rules also say that an entry turned in but disqualified gets all 1s. I think the difference in how it is scored is so a turn ed in then disqualified entry does not make a team ineligible to win the overall GC and RGC.

Trust me..You get no score (0) for that entry. Learned that the hard way. You do not get 1s.

Sometimes at a 25 or 15 team contest the reps will accept the box then DQ it so the event will remain a qualifier. I don't think they would even let the judges taste the late entry.

By the rules, a no entry is not scored. You will not appear on the category score sheet and your overall will be a the total of the categories you entered.

By the rules, a late entry is not a DQ (1's), it is a no entry that should get no score. In practice, I have seen reps treat a late as a DQ and even have teams turn in something late so that they can be DQ'd instead of a no entry. I think that the DQ'd team still counts as a team for Jack/Royal qualifying where a no entry would not.

The rule changed in September of last year. Prior to that a late entry was accepted, and given 1s which showed up on the score sheet as a score of 20. It counted as an entry.

See your point and no disagreement from me. However playing devils advocate, what if you were a team that did everything right even gave meat to a team to make sure it was a 25 team qualifier and a first time team, or experienced but for this scenario a new team totally messes up or drops or whatever to their brisket so they turn in raw chicken. It is turned in, is DQed and is probably the TOD but at least turned in? The GC or RGC shouldnt be punished. Sadly I think this is why some contests struggle because people wont enter unless they already know it is a qualifier.

I wasnt even close but to phrase it different, if this would have been my first GC(team that won has won several) but if it was my first, I wouldnt care what someone turned in. All I can control is my turn ins and while yes there is truly a TOD, I dont think hardly anyone would care about a funky turn in as long as contest is a qualifier.

It also has an impact on every other team in the Jack draw for that state.

Trust me..You get no score (0) for that entry. Learned that the hard way. You do not get 1s.

Sometimes at a 25 or 15 team contest the reps will accept the box then DQ it so the event will remain a qualifier. I don't think they would even let the judges taste the late entry.

Again, that should have changed with the change approved last September. If a Rep is still doing that, it needs to end.

The point is that do you think that your brisket would get the score it deserves or would the scoring be impacted by the previous box?

If the "raw chicken" box actually went to the judge's table, once it was opened and DQed it would no longer have ANY effect on the other boxes at that table.
I was TC/judge (double duty) at a contest in February when a box of chicken drumsticks was turned in for Ribs (the team didn't know the turn-in times and missed chicken turn-in thinking it was at the Rib turn-in time). Once I opened the box and discovered the error, the REP took the box back to the team and we went on to judge Ribs. I can tell you that the Ribs scores from my table were NOT effected.

I know why they are pushing for qualifiers, but I just disagree with it.

The qualifier status only exists after the contest is qualified. Until that point it is not a qualifier and the winning team is not actually being punished because there is nothing to be taken away. Thinking that a contest is a qualifier prior to the contest being accepted as a qualifier by the group qualifies contests you are counting your chicks before they hatch.

If the "raw chicken" box actually went to the judge's table, once it was opened and DQed it would no longer have ANY effect on the other boxes at that table.
I was TC/judge (double duty) at a contest in February when a box of chicken drumsticks was turned in for Ribs (the team didn't know the turn-in times and missed chicken turn-in thinking it was at the Rib turn-in time). Once I opened the box and discovered the error, the REP took the box back to the team and we went on to judge Ribs. I can tell you that the Ribs scores from my table were NOT effected.

The point is could a box that is not prepared to competition standards hurt the scores of other entries? You can provide anecdotal evidence that it didnt, but you can't say that it couldn't. Given that I think that reps should err on the side of protecting the entries that are a teams best effort.

Last edited:
I've only competed once. And I only turned in Pulled pork and people's choice. I got 0 for all other categories and was listed as dead last. Got dead last overall. But I ranked 9th out of 43 teams in my pulled pork. This was at Que at the View in Biloxi, MS. KCBS sanctioned full event.

I was supposed to have another cooked coming but work interfered. So I came out with my Green Egg and still had some fun!

The qualifier status only exists after the contest is qualified. Until that point it is not a qualifier and the winning team is not actually being punished because there is nothing to be taken away.

How so? One could also argue that the contest had enough teams to be a qualifier, and was in fact a qualifier until the actions of the DAL team caused it not to be. All the teams get punished for the actions of one.

How so? One could also argue that the contest had enough teams to be a qualifier, and was in fact a qualifier until the actions of the DAL team caused it not to be. All the teams get punished for the actions of one.

wrong.

The folks at the Jack decide what contests they are going to accept. They publish guidelines for contests, but they have the right to decline to qualify contests that meet the basic criteria. Until the winner of that contest is accepted by the jack as the winner of a qualifying contest that contest is not a qualifier. It has met the basic criteria for a qualifier, but is not in fact a qualifier until they decide it is and accept the winner of that event.

Back