Winter Weather Advisory Brisket (w/ pr0n)

hogs122

Full Fledged Farker
Reaction score
My area was under a winter weather advisory today, but that didn't stop my UDS from turning out a mighty fine 12 pound choice brisket. This was my first stab at hot and fast, and I'm not sure I'll ever do another low and slow.

Minimal trimming the night before. I trimmed some hard fat and trimmed the fat cap a little.
9ar5ue.jpg

Rubbed down with Oakridge Black Ops and wrapped in the fridge overnight.
2mo15pd.jpg

Got the UDS fired up and started producing TBS at 275 degrees with cherry wood and pecan wood. Brisket went on at 9:00 with snow lightly falling. UDS crept up to 300 and settled in for the duration of the cook.
211tev4.jpg

A look at the 4 hour mark. A little more snow.
290wqw3.jpg

Took the brisket off to wrap at the 4 hour mark without knowing internal. Stuck the thermopop in for kicks and grins and it's right at 160.
4ugn6r.jpg

After 2 more hours (6 hours total cook time), she probed tender. I vented and let rest for 2 hours. Started slicing and had a little crumble on one side. Looks like I missed the magical window by a few minutes.
ng9cvk.jpg

Easily passes the bend test.
11kxc87.jpg

And here's the plated picture. Overall very moist and flavorful. One of the best briskets I've made, even though the corner was a little overdone.
4kvbph.jpg

Thanks for looking!

Little tough on the plated version. Little rubbery. Beside that looked good.

VERY nice lookin brisket there... You're right, probably over shot the "magic window" slightly, but it still looks very good. Minimal crumbling.

Nothing wrong with that briskie considering you were fighting Mother Nature. That would be a good cook in normal weather. Good cook.

Darn good looking cook bro! Got some snow in iowa too. Love smoking in the winter.

Looks mighty good to me. Nice smoke ring, and as far as being overcooked, not enough to loose sleep over. It looks very tender and moist from the pictures. I would be proud to set that out on my table with a house full of guests. Hot and fast is the way to go for briskets. You nailed it on your first attempt. :clap2: :bow: :hail:

Blessings, and pass the brisket!

Omar

Back