Costco Prime Brisket

Fizzerpilot

Full Fledged Farker
Reaction score
So, a couple weeks back I smoked up a Walmart Select brisket... and, it was ok.

I've had this Prime in my fridge for a couple weeks, and just got her trimmed and ready for the Bludawg treatment tomorrow.

It started at 18.3lbs, and trimmed down to 11lbs. The interface between the point and flat was seriously 1.5" thick vein of fat. Now, on my Select brisket I trimmed this area down a bit, but it didn't run very deep. This brisket had that +1" vein of fat through nearly the entire interface. I left some in there, but trimmed the bulk of it, as it would not render out in my estimation.

The fat cap needed little trimming, it was nearly perfect.

More to come.

Last edited:
I've got a Costco prime CAB in the freezer that will be cooked in a couple weeks. I sure hope it doesn't lose nearly 40% of it's weight when I trim it.

I was shocked... the exterior wasn't in need of much trimming, but that interface between the point and flat was INSANE

This is twice now I have heard complaints of the fat left on Costco's brisket. It seems to me to have to trim seven pounds of fat off a prime brisket is inexcusable. I badly want to buy one every time I'm going to Costco but posts like this make me gunshot. I won't spend $54 for a simply an 11 pound brisket.

The problem is, it wasn't on the exterior, it was inside the brisket... so, they really cannot obtain a better trim prior to packaging, but it was ridiculous.

This is twice now I have heard complaints of the fat left on Costco's brisket. It seems to me to have to trim seven pounds of fat off a prime brisket is inexcusable. I badly want to buy one every time I'm going to Costco but posts like this make me gunshot. I won't spend $54 for a simply an 11 pound brisket.

This is exactly why i refuse to buy a brisket unless its under $3/lb
another issue i have with buying packers is if the tail end of the flat is under 1" thick. I am not a fan of the flat to begin with and that just makes or breaks it for me.

I wish there was a source for buying just the Point in my area. Only Points sold in my area is corned.

This is exactly why i refuse to buy a brisket unless its under $3/lb
another issue i have with buying packers is if the tail end of the flat is under 1" thick. I am not a fan of the flat to begin with and that just makes or breaks it for me.

I wish there was a source for buying just the Point in my area. Only Points sold in my area is corned.

I can't find one for under $10 a pound here.... Lol

I can't find one for under $10 a pound here.... Lol

I was referring to Select or choice (if lucky) under $3/lb. You lose soo much weight in trimming that your paying atleast $6/lb, not to mention how much you lose when its done cooked.

This is why i will never pay more then $3/lb. And to be honest, i prefer beef short ribs or beef back ribs which cost between $3 to $6/lb and come out better then any select or choice brisket and less loss.

I was referring to Select or choice (if lucky) under $3/lb. You lose soo much weight in trimming that your paying atleast $6/lb, not to mention how much you lose when its done cooked.

This is why i will never pay more then $3/lb. And to be honest, i prefer beef short ribs or beef back ribs which cost between $3 to $6/lb and come out better then any select or choice brisket and less loss.

I was also..... The prime is usually $14 per pound

I almost exclusively buy Costco primes and never had that much loss. I always shoot for the 14-16 lbers and trim 2lbs to 3lbs max. I don't go for the big briskets as I've noticed way too much fat where you described.

I almost exclusively buy Costco primes and never had that much loss. I always shoot for the 14-16 lbers and trim 2lbs to 3lbs max. I don't go for the big briskets as I've noticed way too much fat where you described.

15# briskets are the ticket.......

Thanks for the information, I will look for smaller packers there. This one was massive...

I like them 12LBS or smaller so this explains why I never had this issue. Never been to costco but I don't see how they can control the fat between the point and flat.

I was also..... The prime is usually $14 per pound

Thats insane. If i was you, i would start pricing beef short ribs or beef back ribs. Ask anyone on this site which they prefer taste/texture wise. And lets assume select/choice brisket or short rib. Most would say short rib. I think the only reason brisket is so popular is due to guys in places like Texas getting prime for $3-$4/lb.

Last costco brisket I got Prime, I think it was like 15 or 16 lbs...weighed the trimmings and it was nearly 4 lbs.

Thats insane. If i was you, i would start pricing beef short ribs or beef back ribs. Ask anyone on this site which they prefer taste/texture wise. And lets assume select/choice brisket or short rib. Most would say short rib. I think the only reason brisket is so popular is due to guys in places like Texas getting prime for $3-$4/lb.

I have access to both, and I don't agree with you completely. I find the two to be different altogether. While I absolutely love beef short ribs now (as long as they have a decent amount of meat), sometimes brisket hits a spot that ribs just can't. Perhaps the opposite is also true. Additionally, while you have to trim a brisket, it is also important to remember that there are no bones in a brisket; how much meat are you getting per pound of short ribs vs. brisket? I truly don't know the answer. I find both to be delicious, though.

Here is the fat cap, the point I trimmed a bit, there was quite a lot of firm white fat up there, it looks marbled nicely though.

Back