Explain this to me...

So from what ive gathered so far is #1, stick burner seems to produce a better bark/ring. I will need to research this further.#2 Higher temp should produce a better bark. I will have to try starting off low, then crank it up higher then 250F next time.

Cooked on a WSM at about 275*, wrapped in BP.

Attachments

• IMG_3096.jpg
    IMG_3096.jpg
    58 KB · Views: 33
I'm the least organized cook I know and I've started my cooks while the meat was still cold from the fridge, at room temperature, slathered with mustard under a thick amount of rub, no mustard with a thin amount of rub and I've always had a nice smoke ring. I have no idea why but I do. Agreed though that the ring DOES make the food look better. Best of luck.

So from what ive gathered so far is #1, stick burner seems to produce a better bark/ring. I will need to research this further.#2 Higher temp should produce a better bark. I will have to try starting off low, then crank it up higher then 250F next time.

Meadow Creek is right there in your neck of the woods. Those TS-120s are mighty fine looking smokers and they offer an insulated firebox!!

Great thread with good information. I don't cook competition, but do about 20 briskets a year. I have a gas vertical cabinet, Yoder stick burner, and a 30 inch pipe beast where I shovel coals under the meat (old School pit). Best smoke ring is from the stick burner cooking slow with temps ranging 250 to 275, wrapped with BP. The best tasting meat is from the fire underneath (my beast) the average cooking temp is 300, has small pinkish ring, great bark, no wrap. The vertical cooker at 275, has least visible ring good bark, no water pan, and not wrapped. I use the same home made rub: salt, black pepper, red pepper, paprika, garlic powder,and brown sugar. The picture is one I cooked on the vertical smoker, which has a decent bark. I will take pictures the next time for sliced.

Attachments

• Brisket.JPG
    Brisket.JPG
    142.6 KB · Views: 23
Back