The Cost of Beef

akjerry

Reaction score
Hey

I purchased my first brisket flat on Tuesday, it is in the refer, seasoned and awaiting a Friday morning cook, this will occur on a custom made UDS style unit made from clay, locally known as barro. I have cooked ribs twice on this unit, they were good.

The point of this post is to give you an idea of beef price, here in Chapala, Jalisco, Mexico. We are about 50 miles south of Guadalajara, Mexicos second largest city, and on Mexicos largest lake, Lake Chapala.

Heres the cost break down:

The flat weighs 3.54 kilos = 7.80 lbs
The price per kilo $125 pesos = $4.78/lb
My cost $443.25 pesos = $33.90 USA dollars

I do not think mexicans eat a lot of beef given those numbers, considering the average wage earned here is something on the order of $50-75 pesos/hr.

How does this compare to where you are?

akjerry

Just saw whole packer briskets at walmart for $3.95 a pound..... I think flats were better than $5 a pound but don't remember exactly.... need less to say we made chuckies instead

Jim

Your beef prices aren't too far off from where they are in the U.S.. Here in central Texas we've enjoyed relatively low beef prices when compared to the rest of the country but just recently I saw that whole packers at my local grocery store (HEB) were going for $3.48 a lb. which is a $1.30 increase over last year at this time. Dang droughts!!!:tsk:

Close to $7 per pound in my area. It was $4.40 last year. Brisket is off the menu for the foreseeable future.

I had a friend just move back down by you...

I just paid $3.75 for a nice packer.

Here in IA where a lot of the country's meat comes from :cool:, I just bought USDA choice ribeye from a local grocery at 6.99/#.

Select brisket packers are 2.97/# at Walmart. Choice is up to $6/lb and not below $4.5/#.

At those prices we don't eat much brisket in my household.

Brisket style arm roast or chuck roast is good and a lot more $$ effective in my opinion.

BTW--last I checked we had 6.5 pigs per person. I think about 1.25 cows as well.

About 2000 lb of meat produced per person per year

Back