Any build advice, tips or warnings on a vertical smoker?

superfrog

MemberGot rid of the matchlight.
Reaction score
I am about to start a build on a vertical reverse flow smoker. Basically a Backwoods type clone. 4’ high and 2’ x 2’ wide and deep. Firebox is going to be 12” high and 2” of insulation all around. I am going to have 2 2” round vents coming into the firebox with ball valves on them. No built in water pan. 4 racks about 6” apart.

My question to those that have built their smoker is what would you have done differently, if anything? I know this is a pretty well tested design so I am pretty confident on that part but it is usually the little things that get you later on. Any tips or advice would be appreciated.

I have purchased my first group of metal and I am working on cutting out the pieces but 100 degree days here make that a slow process. I have been using an old horizontal stick burner my dad built about 35 years ago but it has gotten to the point that it needs a whole new firebox and lots of others mods and repairs. After fighting temp drops in the middle of the night with a heavy rain I am looking forward to having something more insulated to help with that.

Thanks

Sounds like you are off to a good start. I have build a lot of pits and it seems like you always run into a challenge or two. But that's not big deal. Just keep on rolling. And check your plans over and over. Maybe even ask a buddy to look over the plans

If you can control the air, you can control the fire. 1 2" ball valve is enough. Guru it.

You want it to be air tight when closed up.

Back