maverick v.s. tel-tru

barbeque nut

Reaction score
my fellow brethren, I need your expertise. I have two wsm cookers. each cooker has a tel-tru thermometer on the lid, and each cooker has a maverick remote smoker thermometer. I get reads between the maverick and tel-tru that can vary as much as 30 degrees. I have checked the accuracy of all thermometers, and they are accurate. What gives? thanks in advance, BBQ NUT:mad:

Close enough for me.

Depending on where each is located temps can vary.
Top rack to bottom rack can vary 30*
If the tel tru is on the outer edge and maverick is centered there would be a difference

The placement of the thermometer. Heat travels up so they will read different depending on where they are in the cooker. The grate level where the food goes is what you should follow.

The best advice I can give you is to pick one and use that to jusge all your cooks by.

First, thanks for getting a Tel Tru and not using the stock thermometer. That was a wise choice.

The hot air will travel straight up to the lid, so it should measure the hottest in this situation. The longer the smoker sits with the lid on, the closer the top rack and lid thermometer should get. Around the walls of the smoker you will get reflective heat off of them so that can make a difference too.

Basically in your smoker you have a whirlwind of slightly different temperatures going on. I would pick the Tel Tru since it doesn't have batteries and sensitive probes that can go bad. Use this reading to gauge your cooking temperature by.

Back