Embers charcoal on the WSM

dsp2

Full Fledged Farker
Reaction score
Hey, everyone. I like to cook dinner on Sunday nights and make something extra as the basis for quick meals during the week. Last night, I smoked chicken thighs I ate for dinner and a turkey breast I'll slice up tonight for dinner throughout the week.

Used Embers charcoal for the first time. Lit it with the Minion method and poured some partly lit briquettes onto my base of charcoal which didn't quite come to the top of the ring of my 18 inch WSM. Note - I also had a healthy amount of cherry wood chunks in there. This was 5pm yesterday. After about an hour, the smoke was clean and the WSM was humming along at about 225 with all vents open.

After 2 hours, it was up around 250, and at 3 hours, it was maybe 260. When I pulled the turkey breast at about the 4 hour mark, it had climbed up to around 300.

Food was great. Turkey was a little above my target temp (was a 6 pounder and was around 170 internal when I pulled it). And I had let the WSM go with all vents open the whole time. This is how I cook lately. Just let it go with all vents open for max airflow and let it slowly rise through the cook, which is nice since it helps food push through at the end.

Long winded point - I lit it at 5pm yesterday, and this morning at 8am I went outside to clean up and there was still some lit coals in there! So it was going for about 15 hours. Temps outside were in the 40s down into the 30s overnight.

Very impressive. And seemed like less ash than KBB (what I usually use).

Just thought I'd share these anecdotes. I have another bag of embers here but then need to do a charcoal run. I wouldn't hesitate to try this stuff again.

Is Embers charcoal the stuff you can buy at Home Depot for cheap?

Is Embers charcoal the stuff you can buy at Home Depot for cheap?

That is where I bought it. Can't recall the price. I bought it last time KBB was on sale. I had picked up several bags of KBB and noticed Embers and just picked up a couple small bags to try.

Not sure about Embers, never heard of it. It makes sense to be Royal Oak as they have lots of different labels.

It's nice that it burnt for that long, but why not shut it down after the cook and use the same charcoal next cook?

It's nice that it burnt for that long, but why not shut it down after the cook and use the same charcoal next cook?

Excellent question. My WSM is like 15 years old and the vents are near impossible to move. I added more charcoal than I should have though not as much as I'll add when I know I want to cook all day. Since I don't usually shut it down, I'd have wanted like 6 hours of solid temps out of yesterday's cook just in case. Not sure how much I actually got (didn't see temp this morning), but it seems I got a lot more than that.

Back