Team "No Foil"?

PekingPorker

is one Smokin' Farker
Reaction score
I have been foiling my bbq for years, and over the past three weeks I've been using butcher paper instead. I've cooked ribs (no paper of foil), brisket, and pork, all for at home eating, no competitions. I must say, I've been very very happy with the results. The "bark" has been fantastic on all the meats.

The biggest unexpected pro from butcher paper has been that fat/grease rendering out soaks into the paper and just covers pork and brisket in a beautiful sheen of flavor on all sides of the meat.

People who normally eat my bbq have commented that brisket and pork have been my best ever using butcher paper.

The only thing I haven't quite figured out is how to pack that flavor punch onto my ribs without the foil. I took my normal foiling ingredients and reduced them together over the stove then painted them on the ribs a few times. They taste very good for at home, but I don't think there's enough flavor punch for one or two-bite judging. Any suggestions from non-foil rib competition cooks?

I haven't decided if I will go with no foil at my next competition yet. My timetables for cooking meats have increased a few hours or more for brisket and pork, but I'm very happy with the results.

Last edited:
Since you like the BP---have you tried it on ribs?

Don't know, but easy to try. 8)

Good luck.

TIM

I am wanting to try that butcher paper idea for home practice to see how it works..

why don't you paint on your mixture on the meat side of the ribs.. then flip them on to the paper, wrap, then flip back again, so you're meat side up, butcher paper would then be soaked in your mixture but laying on top of the meat side?.. maybe that'd work...

Just tried Butcher Paper this past Friday myself. Picked up a roll at Restaurant Depot. Brisket did have a great crust --came out very good. Tried it on ribs as well. Will need to use it a few more times before I commit to making changes for comps.

IThe only thing I haven't quite figured out is how to pack that flavor punch onto my ribs without the foil. I took my normal foiling ingredients and reduced them together over the stove then painted them on the ribs a few times. They taste very good for at home, but I don't think there's enough flavor punch for one or two-bite judging. Any suggestions from non-foil rib competition cooks?

Have you tried injecting? People will say that there is no possible benefit, but I strongly disagree.

Have you tried injecting? People will say that there is no possible benefit, but I strongly disagree.

Interesting..... Now is that raw before cooking, or cooked and just before placing into turn-in box? :pop2:

I only use BP, with Brisket. Wonderful results. I wonder if a tight, layered wrap on the ribs would trap in those flavors your used to trapping with the foil?

Interesting..... Now is that raw before cooking, or cooked and just before placing into turn-in box? :pop2:

I've only injected ribs raw, but a post cook injection might be worth experimenting.

As far as raw injection, I can get a typical sized St Louis slab to hold a cup or more easily.

I have not tried injecting ribs. I'm gonna give that a go this weekend. Thanks for the suggestion!

I've only injected ribs raw, but a post cook injection might be worth experimenting.

As far as raw injection, I can get a typical sized St Louis slab to hold a cup or more easily.

That's what I'm thinking..... a well developed recipe, heated and then injected just before going into the box would help with taste and tenderness. In the words of a TV host from food network "that's money".

What if you wrap the ribs in the butcher paper, and then in the foil? that way you'd still get the benefit of the "sheen" and the outer foil wrapper would keep all the ingredients from leaking everywhere.

OR you could make a foil boat for the ribs to sit in, and still wrap them in butcher paper.

Back